You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2017 10:03 am  #1

New Tent means - Questions about your preference!

Hey there gang,
So after 8 years of travel, I've had to retire my old Eureka! APEX 3.   I've loved that tent and had a lot of great memories with her over the past 8 years.  But, she's bruised, battered, and has seen a spark or two melt right through and now, the patches just hasn't been holding up in a storm.
SO, I've spent quite a bit of time researching, biding my time and yesterday ordered a heavily discounted Marmot Limelight 3 person.

That got me thinking, what's your preference of tent? maybe you don't tent but prefer the hangars? 
I prefer the 3 person for only 2 people.  Sure it's just under 7 lbs which is a little heavier (IMHO) but for a long trip it's nice to spread out and have some room on your days off.

Hope winter hasn't got any of you down yet!
JB

11/27/2017 11:04 am  #2

Re: New Tent means - Questions about your preference!

Love my Hilleberg Anjan 3. Super light (4 lbs?) for a 3 person and I have my own palace in the backcountry. Not the cheapest option but the thing can handle any amount of wind and rain Algonquin can throw at it.

Very excited to try a new Snowtrekker for the first time in a few weeks. Winter is always the most depressing time for me as I wait for the lakes to thaw so I decided to try a new challenge and keep the camping going all year long!. 

11/27/2017 12:46 pm  #3

After my Spring trip this year, where I was essentially tentbound for two days, I really appreciated having the space of a 2-person tent for myself. It squashed any thoughts of dropping to a 1-person version. MSR has been my tent of choice for many years now and they've yet to let me down. Love my Hubba Hubba NX. 

I actually appreciate the winter break - absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. By the time Spring rolls around I'll be absolutely dying to go camping, but for now I'm pretty content to enjoy some time off. 

11/28/2017 2:46 pm  #4

Completely agree with sizing up by 1 when buying a tent.. That said I do have one 2 person tent that is quite spacious and definitely good enough for 2 people. 

Currently I'm rocking a Nemo Obi 3 for 2 people. Weighs 4lbs 5 ozs.

Solo I'm using a Big Agnes Flycreek. 2. Weighs 2 lbs 5 ozs. 

Unless I'm going really light. Borah Gear side zip bivy. 7 ozs..It's only water resistant not proof so needs a tarp in wet weather.

Last edited by ShawnD (11/28/2017 2:46 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

11/29/2017 9:46 am  #5

Uppa wrote:

After my Spring trip this year, where I was essentially tentbound for two days, I really appreciated having the space of a 2-person tent for myself. It squashed any thoughts of dropping to a 1-person version. MSR has been my tent of choice for many years now and they've yet to let me down. Love my Hubba Hubba NX. 

I actually appreciate the winter break - absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. By the time Spring rolls around I'll be absolutely dying to go camping, but for now I'm pretty content to enjoy some time off. 

Good way to look at it!

I used a new tent for the 2017 season - the NatureHike 2 person with a single door. :
https://www.amazon.ca/Naturehike-Seasons-Ultralight-Waterproof-silicone/dp/B00VWX0BFS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511966488&sr=8-2&keywords=naturehike+tent+2+person
Spring of 17' on Louisa :

Having upgraded to this tent after using a Canadian Tire tent for years I can't say enough good things about it, especially for the price. It's amazingly light, and takes up the same amount of space as one of those parachute hammocks when its in a compression sack. Obviously the material isn't super thick, but it's 100% water proof and wind proof. It's a '2 person' tent and its the perfect size for myself and my 70lb dog.. Not sure about two adults inside though, maybe your wife but definitely not a friend. Not only that, it comes with a free groundsheet whih allows you to setup just the fly with the poles/groundsheet without the tent body during the non-buggy seasons. All the seams are double stitched and I can't see any signs of wear after using it for 60+ nights (has been setup and taken down at least 60 times).

Last edited by ATVenture (11/29/2017 9:49 am)

11/29/2017 11:25 pm  #6

We have an older MSR Mutha Hubba tent (about 10 years) that has served us extremely well in all kinds of weather. Aside from a couple small tears in the screening, it still performs as effectively as it did on day one. At 6 lbs and change, it can be rather heavy for long distance backpacking, and so we purchased a Big Agnes Scout UL2 when it first came out about 5 years ago. It weighs in at just under 2 lbs and uses hiking poles as part of the setup. We use this tent for some of the longer hiking trips where weather isn't too much of a concern, along with any solo treks that I do. It's not bad for a single wall tent, but it can get a bit damp inside, unlike the Mutha Hubba that religiously keeps moisture at bay. The zippers are also really annoying as the material constantly gets caught. Having said that, I consider these small sacrifices for the crazy light weight! In terms of canoe trips, I would always pick the Mutha Hubba though, hands down...

12/02/2017 10:35 pm  #7

I'm very pleased with my The North Face - Roadrunner 23 (2 person) . . for 1 person plus a 90lbs dog . . it does weight close to 7 lbs. I have a Kelty Vuntut 4 which I use for 2 people and the dog at 1 lbs 4 oz  more . . I'm happy with it although it would be nice if the doors had larger windows.

12/03/2017 7:57 am  #8

ATVenture wrote:

I used a new tent for the 2017 season - the NatureHike 2 person with a single door. :
https://www.amazon.ca/Naturehike-Seasons-Ultralight-Waterproof-silicone/dp/B00VWX0BFS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511966488&sr=8-2&keywords=naturehike+tent+2+person
Spring of 17' on Louisa :

Having upgraded to this tent after using a Canadian Tire tent for years I can't say enough good things about it, especially for the price.

I feel pretty strongly that you get what you pay for. But, this tent seems to buck the trend. Thumbs up after 60 nights. Less than 3 pounds. $150. Almost too good to be true!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.