You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/28/2017 1:41 pm  #1

Northern Lights

I'm just curious if anyone has had any luck viewing the Northern lights in the park?  If so what is a good vantage point?

I read where this year is still near peak for their cycle so I'd like to get out and see them.  I can likely see them at a dark sky preserve close to me but just curious if the park is worth the extra drive.

Thanks

11/28/2017 3:56 pm  #2

Re: Northern Lights

Weather dependent - solar weather (substantial solar flare activity) and earthly weather (limited cloud cover) are two predominant factors.  You should have a good 24-48 hour lead time for better likelihood of seeing anything.

The further north you go, the better your chances; any site with open viewing to the north would suffice.

Good predictions here:
http://www.aurora-service.org/aurora-forecast/

and here:
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/

11/29/2017 9:44 am  #3

Yep PaPadder's advice is spot on. It's also worthwhile noting that many of the vivid photos of the Northern Lights taken in the park the lights can't even be seen with the naked eye. 

11/29/2017 9:53 am  #4

Just a heads up they may be visible this evening until 9PM or so if you can find dark enough skies.

11/30/2017 8:10 pm  #5

AA needs a like button!

12/01/2017 5:44 am  #6

Agreed, MartinG, crossed my mind a number of times.

12/01/2017 10:33 am  #7

Hi John ... thanks for the info . .that's what I was hoping to find out ... I'm less worried about capturing them in photo although that would be a bonus.  I'm more interested in showing them to my kids.  I've seen them in a few spots across Canada and saw them a lot growing up in NS ... but my hope is that the park would have viewing spots so we could tie it in with a winter trip there. 

Thanks

12/01/2017 10:41 am  #8

Just in case anyone is interested in seeing them in ON this winter ... any dark sky preserve is good but in particular Torrence Barrens for you TO folks ... the farther north the better ...  and this site I've found is fairly simple and easy to track the range ...

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/NorthAmerica/20171128

12/09/2017 9:14 pm  #9

I saw them a few years back on a late August night.  Lucky to have seen them. There was a site I wanted to get to but didn't. Site I wanted had a south view. Site I was on had a northe view over a lake. Several people were just laying down on a rock looking at stars breaking the law!  Listening to the weather radio to see if it would rain the next day. One person in the group asked what made the light on the horizon.  I was completely not thinking about the northern lights, so was trying to figure out what town could be in that direction. Then the light grew brighter and brighter and put on a fantastic show.  Not as good as some of the pictures above, but my first and only encounter with the lights. I keep hoping for a repeat.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.