You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2017 1:16 pm  #1

Winter camping rules

So, what are the winter camping rules for the backcountry in Algonquin? And when do they take effect? I checked Algonquin's website but couldn't find anything.

11/16/2017 1:44 pm  #2

Re: Winter camping rules

From: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/winter-in-algonquin-park.php 

Backcountry

For the adventurer, winter camping is permitted in the Park backcountry, accessible only by ski or snowshoe. For overnight backpackers, the parking lots for the Western Uplands Backpacking Trail and Highland Backpacking Trail are ploughed.Procedures for permits and registration differ during Algonquin's winter period (Canadian Thanksgiving to the last Friday in April). During this period, winter backcountry camping is on a first-come first-served basis. The Ontario Parks Reservation Service Call Centre does not accept backcountry campsite reservations for the winter period. Permits can only be purchased at the West Gate or East Gate during office hours on the day of your arrival. When the Gates are closed, you may call 705 633-5572 and speak with Park staff to obtain a permit using a credit card. For safety reasons, visitors must leave a note on the vehicle dash clearly indicating your name, destination, arrival and departure dates and the permit transaction number that will be given at the time of the booking. In the event of an emergency your trip details will be used as confirmation.When the ground is snow covered or lakes are frozen, winter backcountry camping is not permitted on designated summer campsites or within 30 metres of a lakeshore, trail, or portage marked on the Canoe Routes Map or Backpacking Trails Map. It is recommended that you camp in low sheltered areas where there is a good supply of standing dead firewood for warmth and cooking.

11/16/2017 3:04 pm  #3

The "when do they take effect" question is one that is very difficult to get an answer for, even when you call the park staff.   I called last year and they had started the winter rules before there was actually snow on the ground.  My understanding was always that it started once lakes had started to freeze up and there was snow on the ground but that info must be incorrect based on what happened last year.  I called up to the park every week or so for updates.  But even when i called sometimes I'd get a different answer.  So what I do now is call the west gate and then call or email someone out of the Visitors Center and see if I get the same answer.  I printed off the email reply I got and brought it up just in case I was questioned.

11/17/2017 12:55 pm  #4

While the park seems to give different answers at different times to different people (and hopefully you won't get in trouble for acting according to what park staff tell you), there are actually fixed dates that you can safely rely on. They're set out in Ontario Regulation 347/07 - https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/070347

"Between December 1 and March 31, no person shall camp within 30 metres of the nearest portage or shoreline,

(a) in an area operated for interior camping in Algonquin Provincial Park"

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

11/17/2017 1:02 pm  #5

Thanks all. Why the rule against camping close to the shoreline or on existing sites? Is it to allow regeneration?

11/17/2017 7:17 pm  #6

I have also had mixed signals about winter rules in both spring and fall so it's good see an official rule. However, we have generally just played it by ear when we arrived and basically, if the lakes were not navigable by canoe, we play by winter rules.

In reality though even before winter rules a lot of the parks sites start to become undesireable by late fall as they are situated and trodden more for summer use.

I think the -not near a site- rule is to give it a break, especially since you can't collect ground firewood and start to rely on dry standing.

However, i am willing to bet many backcountry winter campers don't camp on a site but within walking distance of a thunder box. We do, often to one side of a summer site and pushed back into the forest away from the shore.

11/21/2017 10:46 am  #7

just to add - In winter it's much better away from existing sites. 
You need LOTS of dead standing wood for a fire.
I find most established sites are near a shore line, In winter I like to be deep in the trees protected from the wind ( as much as possible ) 
Have fun ! 
My camping season is just starting - I prefer to camp October --> May - no bugs, no people, more wildlife and more peaceful .  I've already done 2 november camps and looking forward to more! 

11/22/2017 11:37 am  #8

Lofty wrote:

You need LOTS of dead standing wood for a fire...

Is that allowed? I always thought you were not allowed to use dead standing wood and only trees that were down already.

Dave

11/22/2017 1:21 pm  #9

Algonquintripper wrote:

Lofty wrote:

You need LOTS of dead standing wood for a fire...

Is that allowed? I always thought you were not allowed to use dead standing wood and only trees that were down already.

Different Parks have different rules. For example In Frontenac Park you can only process fallen deadwood. Algonquin, on the other hand, lets you process standing deadwood. Another unique trick in Algonquin is that you can process wood with a chainsaw during the winter. I've never searched for that rule. I was just surprised by it when a fellow camper brought his chainsaw. It was later confirmed to me by a park ranger.

5/11/2018 5:17 pm  #10

Chainsaw for winter camping...i most certainly think so! In fact i bought one *specifically* for APP. For $199 i scored a beautiful little Stihl. I call it my Karl Malden, i dont leave home without it. ;)

5/11/2018 5:36 pm  #11

Wow that would make things a TON easier in the winter eh?  I always find I spend a lot of time processing wood for 3 fires...1 for outside around dinner time, another for when I retire into the hot tent and then another for first thing in the morning....

5/12/2018 7:56 am  #12

This surprises me about a gas chainsaw being allowed within the park in any season. Never dawned on me to even inquire. I have however considered a cordless chain saw or even a reciprocating saw for such tasks. Wood size doesn't concern me as I don't hot tent but it would make general processing a whole lot easier/faster for sure.

2/09/2024 7:36 am  #13

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Thanks all. Why the rule against camping close to the shoreline or on existing sites? Is it to allow regeneration?

Amongst all of the helpful information, like bring your stihl and cut a face cord of standing dead, i don't think we quite managed an answer to this pertinent question. It can't be anything to do with impact/regeneration. Winter users pay the same rate, so they presumably get the same benefits. And if it's obviously better to camp away from a summer site, then the rule isn't needed in the first place. Winter users also need water just like summer users, so why ask them to hike the extra 30 metres to get it. Some park rules like restrictions on the number of people at a site make a ton of sense to me. This rule makes no sense, and on multiple counts. I've searched online but can find no trace of a statement, not a single sentence, as to where on earth this rule ever came from. Everyone quotes it, sure. But no one knows why.

2/09/2024 7:41 am  #14

Since this was posted a few years back I've bought a tiny little Echo gas saw and have used it in the back country and it has been a game-changer!  in 20 minutes I can fell and process two dead trees and have enough wood for several days.  I can't believe how it has saved my back (I have pretty major back problems and processing wood was killing me...)

https://www.echo.ca/chainsaws/cs-2511t

2/09/2024 7:56 am  #15

Steve E wrote:

Since this was posted a few years back I've bought a tiny little Echo gas saw and have used it in the back country and it has been a game-changer!  in 20 minutes I can fell and process two dead trees and have enough wood for several days.  I can't believe how it has saved my back (I have pretty major back problems and processing wood was killing me...)

Cool. The weight on that unit is amazing! 5 lbs?? i've long and idly contemplated bringing my ryobi mini-saw on trip, 10" bar and a couple batteries with enough juice for lopping 3-4 days worth of wood. Because at 8lbs, I thought it was lightweight. I even ride with it mountain biking. But I never did bring it, the 8 lbs was always too much on top of my other load. At just 5, I might seriously have to reconsider. 

2/09/2024 8:00 am  #16

Ya honestly it was one of the best purchases I've made.  The thing is an absolute beast at cutting.  I went back and forth between gas and battery and decided that gas was better for my use.  The batteries nowadays are intelligent and if you do a deep dive on reviews there are all sorts of issues with them, and the cost to replace is insane (almost the cost of a whole new saw).  Then there's the worry about running out of charge and not having the ability to recharge remotely.  So for those reasons I went gas (as long as I have enough gas and bar oil I can cut for days)...

2/09/2024 1:47 pm  #17

Steve E wrote:

Awesome, isn't it? I'm not familiar with the Echo, but did you look at the arborist version Stihl has?  Just wondering

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.