You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2017 4:38 pm  #1

Suggestions for East Gate This Weekend One Night

Hi all,

Going to take advantage of the nice weather this weekend and would love to hear your thoughts. Good fishing and fall colour are the main purposes of the trip. Here are the three locations I was thinking. What would y'all suggest? 

-Smith or McManus Lake

-Sec Lake

-Travers Lake

Cheers,

Lenny

10/18/2017 10:22 pm  #2

Re: Suggestions for East Gate This Weekend One Night

I'm a terrible fisherman so can't help you there, but have camped on those lakes; all good options.  

10/19/2017 6:23 am  #3

i know nothing about fishing as well, but I would suggest possibly scratching Smith as the sites are mediocre. Beginning of McManus and top of Whitson has nicer options, albeit mostly north facing.

Have you considered Stratton or St Andrews? Both could offer nice scenery if the leaves are good.

Sec is nice, so is Traverse.

10/19/2017 12:01 pm  #4

APPaul wrote:

Have you considered Stratton or St Andrews? Both could offer nice scenery if the leaves are good.

Sec is nice, so is Traverse.

Since the Achray campground is now closed and the gate is presumably locked you would have perhaps a 5000m portage just to get to the launch point on Grand Lake.  Travers is a pretty nice lake and would not involve any portaging.  The lake was pretty quiet when we were there for Thanksgiving weekend and I would expect even less activity this weekend.

10/19/2017 6:53 pm  #5

That's true the Achray gate is likely to be closed. However, it's gated 1000 or 1600 meters from the Achray campground. 5000m - 6000m is from the Baron Canyon road, which soon as the snow falls becomes the access point as the park stops maintaining roads on that side. Since the loggers have no reason to plow it becomes snow bound.

10/19/2017 7:59 pm  #6

APPaul wrote:

That's true the Achray gate is likely to be closed. However, it's gated 1000 or 1600 meters from the Achray campground. 5000m - 6000m is from the Baron Canyon road, which soon as the snow falls becomes the access point as the park stops maintaining roads on that side. Since the loggers have no reason to plow it becomes snow bound.

Oops, I was trying to say 500m!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.