You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/10/2017 11:30 am  #1

Looking for waterfalls near Hwy60 corridor

I am looking for a waterfall to photograph with fall colors in the background.  Must be reachable by foot from Highway 60.

I have done Ragged Falls PP (below) but the view was spoilt by a few inuksuks someone built on the falls.

Whiskey Rapids just doesn't do it for me.  (Tom Thompson may disagree.)

Any others?

Last edited by Yc (9/10/2017 5:06 pm)

9/10/2017 2:34 pm  #2

Re: Looking for waterfalls near Hwy60 corridor

There are a few falls along the Track and Tower trail about half-way through the trail, just below the dam.  Pretty scenic spot

9/15/2017 10:17 pm  #3

Steve. Gravel falls on the oxtongue river is pretty impressive.  I've only accessed by canoe however I'm pretty sure you can hike in from the road as well. Maybe someone with more local knowledge can chime in. You may be able to hike there from the ragged falls trail also. There are a couple crown sites there so it may be wise to spend the night. My wife and I  camped there in 98 and I just paddled through again in July. Cool spot.

Last edited by Shayne74 (9/15/2017 10:18 pm)

9/16/2017 11:07 am  #4

Shayne I've never heard of Gravel Falls but I'll be sure to check them out?  Is access off of Hwy 60?

9/16/2017 1:26 pm  #5

Check Jeff maps. Find ragged falls and follow the river east. I've heard it's a popular spot for locals to hike in to. I'm assuming there is a trail from 60 to follow but not 100% sure. May have to do some research on access. It's practically  in line with Algonquin Bound on Hwy 60. They may be able to direct you to trail access or AO oxtongue. It's not too far of an upstream paddle from Ragged falls if you wanted to park there and paddle it. I would guess an hour maybe.

Last edited by Shayne74 (9/16/2017 1:37 pm)

9/16/2017 8:26 pm  #6

Shayne74 wrote:

It's practically in line with Algonquin Bound on Hwy 60. They may be able to direct you to trail access ......

Haha.  4 years ago, being new to Algonquin, I stopped at Algonquin Bound to ask for directions to Ragged Falls Prov Park.  (GPS had brought me to a little deadend spur off Hwy 60.)  First person I asked didn't know.  He asked the second person who directed me further EAST on Hwy 60.  YMMV.

9/17/2017 8:22 am  #7

Yeah. Always a gamble with summer staff LOL! The falls along track and tower are along the Madawaska river near Cache lake. Nice spots as well. Also just remembered a falls off Hwy. 35 at Dwight. 1.km south of 60 there's a bridge over the Oxtongue river. I forget the name of the falls but it it easily accessible by foot. There is a trail  on the north side of the bridge heading west. Can't miss it. It's a portage so I'm assuming public access.

9/17/2017 9:16 pm  #8

The trail to Gravel Falls doesn't show on Jeff's map. It's on the right (northwest) side of the river. You start up the road that leads north from Hwy 60 across the Wolf Den's property where their cottages are, and then follow the trail off to the east once you're within the provincial park. Actually the very last part of the trail does show on Jeff's map -- the 955m portage around Gravel Falls and Rapids, and the little dashed line that continues south from it. I've done the trail in the winter, the snowshoes were essential since the trail doesn't get much use.

But if you're considering hiking to Gravel Falls, stop in at the Wolf Den not only for more detailed directions but advice on whether it's advisable or possible in the fall. There's a hunt camp between them and the park that uses the trail during hunting season, and might even have the road gated off.

9/18/2017 8:22 am  #9

Great info, thanks guys!

10/14/2017 10:08 am  #10

I found two more.  Not quite inside Algonquin, but close.
1. Oxtongue Rapid Park.  It's a quick detour on the way into Algonquin.  Road runs parallel to Highway 60 and the river is right next to the road.  Very accessible.
2.  Woodland Heights Nature Reserve @45.3229215,-79.1207508.  Just behind Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville.  A short hike in, but beautiful waterfall with lots of maple around it.

10/17/2017 8:05 am  #11

Brook's Falls in Emsdale is fairly close and is quite scenic.

10/18/2017 6:51 am  #12

Several years ago I mapped the trail to gravel falls and gave a copy to the Wolf Den back when Ben ran it. He may have left it for the new owners. It's worth a try1
I'll look around and see if I still have the file

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.