You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/09/2017 12:25 pm  #1

Funny / Strange Lake Names?

I'm looking over Jeff's map and it's amazing how many little lakes and rivers there are in the park.... I found this tiny lake near Lake Travers named "Eerily Wet Lake".  Cracked me up.  What are some other neat little lake or river names you know of in the Park?

10/09/2017 3:38 pm  #2

Re: Funny / Strange Lake Names?

There are some great lake names in the park.  Square Lake is very close to Eerily Wet, though not nearly as funny.  I was personally disappointed when Butt Lake's name was changed to Ralph Bice.  While not in Algonquin, the Winnie the Pooh-themed lake names in Grant's Creek Provincial Park are outstanding:  Pooh, Tigger, Owl, Kanga, Roo, Piglet, Christopher Robin.  Also a Lake called Puffball in there - that has to be a lake worth seeing.  Back to Algonquin - there's Lost Coin, Nool is a good one.  There appear to be two "Ugh" Lakes.  Not sure if that is because of their appearance or the level of despair required to get to them.  I've always been interested in those unusual lake names, but haven't been able to find the Algonquin book that provided the origins of the Park's lake names.

10/09/2017 6:52 pm  #3

I noticed that there is an 'Ooze Lake' near Achray, which gives me some interesting mental images.
I find the oddest one to be Eu Lake - or is E.U. Lake? The jury seems to be out in terms of what the correct label or pronunciation is...

10/09/2017 9:55 pm  #4

Don't forget Bootee and Feely Lakes, I'd like to hear the explanation for these two names!

10/10/2017 6:15 am  #5

I believe that at ot one point Jeff was marking nameless lakes with names you wanted if you provided the gps track to the lake proving you had been. Most of these lakes are isolated. They are the names in italic or have a star beside them. If you closely you might notice some lake names not to far off some peoples forum handles!

My favourite/least favourite: Ghost Lake.

10/10/2017 7:27 am  #6

Had heard a similar story about Jeff using friends/tripping partners names for unnamed lakes as well. Like "Papertowns " only lakes.

10/10/2017 10:04 am  #7

Jeffrey did use friends and other things to name places that previously did not have names. Along with lake names, places like Anchor Island, Blueberry Falls and Shangri La Island were first labeled on Jeff's Map. This is common to most map makers. Error Lake and Mistake Lake are thought to be named by James Dickson after one of his crews messed up their survey lines. Kootchie Lake first appears on Dr. Bells map and is named after his sisters dog. 

I'm partial to Martin's Puddle

This referenced a game on the old forum to find the highest lake in the park! (I haven't been there, yet)

10/10/2017 10:49 am  #8

That's pretty cool I had no idea about those names! 

10/11/2017 8:09 am  #9

I feel I should mention the Algonquin Park Named Lake Challenge - 
http://www.smedleyco.com/APNLC/Named-Lake-Challenge.aspx

Major lack of participation this year, and a lack of attention from me as well unfortunately. But hey, there's always next year!

10/11/2017 9:56 am  #10

Algonquin Park Technical Bulletin No. 10
Names of Algonquin - Stories Behind the Lake and Place Names of Algonquin Provincial Park
by G.D. Garland

The edition we have dates from 1997, so any newer names, whether official or added by Park enthusiasts, are not included.  It does not have Eerily Wet, Booty, Feely, Ugh, among others, though does include Eu (E.U. on Dr. Bell's 1908 map, meaning apparently unknown).

BTW, I have visited Ooze Lake many times, and yes, parts of it are indeed oozy.  Most of the shore is wetland, good habitat for many interesting plants and wild flowers (especially at the height of bug season), and feeding ground for moose.  There is an area of rock on one shore.  Takeout for the portage to High Falls Lake features some very enthusiastic poison ivy.

1/19/2019 7:56 pm  #11

As if Queer and Narrowbag didn't make the list. Who's in charge over there ?

3/12/2019 8:39 am  #12

Does anyone know how Crotch Lake got it's name?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.