You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2017 8:20 pm  #35

Re: Sec/Mallard/Pretty Lake - Easy Fall Trip with Dad?

Steve E wrote:

Awesome info!  How loud is the road noise from Number One?  I'm assuming there's a lot of logging so did you find you heard the trucks a lot and was it loud?

And thanks for the tip for the wood ATVenture!

I didn't hear any road noise, but we were only there a couple of hours. Site number 2 (so, not the portage site) is even further from the road and would be even quieter. We ate lunch on that one, didn't love it, but its serviceable

10/10/2017 9:34 pm  #36

Thank you!

10/10/2017 11:00 pm  #37

Hey Steve,
I'm guessing you would have more privacy at Number One lake than at Sec (though of course both would have very little traffic in November!).  Sec is a nicer lake with more to do + explore.  Downside is that there is crown land very nearby, so there may be hunters + you might hear gunshots, as I did just this last weekend.  On plus side, heard a pack of wolves, which was pretty cool.
Fred

10/11/2017 2:47 pm  #38

Ummm.... Number One lake appears to have some fall logging activity nearby and hauling on two roads... took a quick look at the AFA operations map. In addition to everything else, there is also artillery practice at CFB Petawawa at times, as well as helicopter noise. Ralph Bice & campsites at access three, by contrast look quiet (but not on the east side in pine and cliff country).

http://algonquinforestry.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/AWS_Webmap1.pdf

10/11/2017 2:50 pm  #39

Thanks for all the input here guys.  Looks like lots of logging in that whole area of the east side.  I think what we're gonna do is head up early and scope out all the sites on Sec, Mallard and Number One (and perhaps Pretty Lake as well as per Johns recommendation) and set up at the one we like the best.  For the most part they are all fairly close to one another so I think that's the best option.  Going for 6 days so there's lots of time and we want to make sure we get the best site for our needs as we can

Just out of curiosity, roughly how many logging trucks would one expect this time of year?  Are we talking one every 5 minutes kind of thing?

10/11/2017 5:39 pm  #40

Love it John!  Looking at the logging map it appears that a lot of that area is designated for winter logging so perhaps it won't be that bad.  The other option was Mew Lake so it can't be any worse than having Hwy 60 run right beside!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.