You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/04/2017 1:23 am  #1

Canoe route and site recommendation

After my first voyage in Algonquin, it's time to do the next. This time I'm searching for a site that is no more than 8KM from the launch site, including no more than 3 portages totalling 500 or 600 meters. We're just looking for a nice, flat campsite where we can enjoy the sun, the fire, and have a good time with some friends. Something with an open view in front of us, ideally a front where we can sit and bath in the sun if the weather is good.

We'll be going this weekend if the weather allows it. The last trip I did was to the very northeast end of North Tea Lake in the East arm of it. If I can't find anything else, I'll just book something in the West Arm and hopefully can get a nice campsite. The one we found in the east arm was alright, but it took us 2 hours to find an empty campsite and it was over the labour long weekend, which as many of you know was just in horrendous conditions. I was also worried that, being a repeat visitor of Killarney, the scenery at Algonquin would not be good enough, but I was happily wrong. The North Tea lake was very beautiful and serene. 

Thanks in advance.

10/04/2017 5:38 am  #2

Re: Canoe route and site recommendation

I'd recommend access points 3, 5 or 6 - assuming you're coming from the west side - they have many options that are easy and close to the access point.  Crowds will not be your problem on this trip.

10/04/2017 5:46 am  #3

We just did access point 4 rain lake, to Islet lake, about 8 km , 2 portages 455m and 700m and they were honestly quite nice and pleasent, Islet lake most sites are really well maintained and great, the booking site allows 3 bookings and it has 6 or 7 sites, so no issue finding a site and it's a small lake.

But yea any of the access points out of Kearney (easy access from GTA) 3 4 and 2 are recommended as they have tons of nice sites and nice lakes with nice paddles in depending on how much work you want to put in.

10/04/2017 6:14 am  #4

The Shall Lake access point offers routes like what you are talking about.  Booth lake is 2 portages away, lots of great campsites, a nice big lake to explores, and a broad, slow-moving creek right there waiting to be paddled as well.

10/04/2017 10:18 am  #5

Both sound good. Just anywhere that's not too crowded (though I don't mind canoers or campsites nearby so long as I can't constantly hear them from my campsite). North Tea was completely booked when I went, but it was such a huge lake that other people disturbing us was not an issue, even though my campsite was a 2 minute walk from a hike trail.

But yeah, these look good. Basically anything without leeches , ideally nice rocky shore or sand to sunbath on, flat-ish campsites, good scenery, open view.

10/04/2017 12:10 pm  #6

As fate would have it I was at both Islet and Booth this year.  Both are nice lakes to paddle around and explore.  Islet has great proximity to one of the hiking trails.  Booth has the Creek.  Islet has a short easy portage to Weed Lake.  Booth has a couple of bays and big islands.  The carries in are a little bit easier from Shall to Booth than from Rain to Islet (that 840 meter one starts out with a big stairway and has a rock-hop of consequence in the middle, but nothing that would make me think twice about that route).  Fishing good on both, but I can't remember the dates you said you were going, you might be post-season at that point, may not be a factor.  Swimming ok on both, as far as I know the leech population isn't out of control.   I haven't looked at all of the campsites by a longshot, but in general, I think Booth has the better grouping of campsites.  Many of them face south and/or west, which is nice for sunsets.  A couple of the campsites on Booth have very close proximity to very high rocky plateaus that would be fun to sit on and take in the world.  Both lakes have a large island that has only one campsite on it if that floats your boat (I like islands, not everybody does). 

Actually, as I think of it, I submitted trip reports for both trips, so if you look those up, you'll see some photos that might tip the scales for you to like one area over the other.  I dunno, the photography wasn't that great.....   

10/04/2017 2:51 pm  #7

not sure where you are coming from but Big Crow offers a lot ... there's a river just off of it, lots of nice sites, and options for moose along the crow heading back to little crow/proulx ... easy portage ...

but take the taxi ...  

10/04/2017 3:24 pm  #8

Dead_Weight (DW) wrote:

not sure where you are coming from but Big Crow offers a lot ... there's a river just off of it, lots of nice sites, and options for moose along the crow heading back to little crow/proulx ... easy portage ...

but take the taxi ...  

From Toronto. 

Not sure how much the taxi costs and where they drop you off. If it's before Proulx, then that portage there is a no-go with my group. And Big Crow has motor boats in it, no? Ideally want to avoid that as well.

10/04/2017 3:50 pm  #9

dontgroandaddy wrote:

As fate would have it I was at both Islet and Booth this year.  Both are nice lakes to paddle around and explore.  Islet has great proximity to one of the hiking trails.  Booth has the Creek.  Islet has a short easy portage to Weed Lake.  Booth has a couple of bays and big islands.  The carries in are a little bit easier from Shall to Booth than from Rain to Islet (that 840 meter one starts out with a big stairway and has a rock-hop of consequence in the middle, but nothing that would make me think twice about that route).  Fishing good on both, but I can't remember the dates you said you were going, you might be post-season at that point, may not be a factor.  Swimming ok on both, as far as I know the leech population isn't out of control.   I haven't looked at all of the campsites by a longshot, but in general, I think Booth has the better grouping of campsites.  Many of them face south and/or west, which is nice for sunsets.  A couple of the campsites on Booth have very close proximity to very high rocky plateaus that would be fun to sit on and take in the world.  Both lakes have a large island that has only one campsite on it if that floats your boat (I like islands, not everybody does). 

Actually, as I think of it, I submitted trip reports for both trips, so if you look those up, you'll see some photos that might tip the scales for you to like one area over the other.  I dunno, the photography wasn't that great.....   

Thanks, read your Booth trip. Booth sounds good, and looks nice, and is very accessible within a short time, which is what we're looking for. The pictures look good--I suppose North Tea looks more majestic due to its size, but North Tea, or at leas the site we were at, had 0 mosquitos, which was great. I've never had luck with mosquitos, so this part of my last trip was a blessing (most of the rest of it was a semi-disaster!).

10/05/2017 6:01 am  #10

Mosquitos were non existant on October 1st but it was very cold out, hard to say with it being warmer this week

10/05/2017 6:46 am  #11

The park will me mostly empty...not even comparable to July/August levels.  

It will also likely be cool and damp...you'll want to bath in the sun just for the warmth if it shows up.  

Bugs will be mostly a distant memory.

Essentially, you'll find there is a very different character to the park compared to what you experienced on your first trip.

10/05/2017 10:33 am  #12

PaPaddler wrote:

The park will me mostly empty...not even comparable to July/August levels.  

It will also likely be cool and damp...you'll want to bath in the sun just for the warmth if it shows up.  

Bugs will be mostly a distant memory.

Essentially, you'll find there is a very different character to the park compared to what you experienced on your first trip.

Yeah, I've never gone camping in October. Hope there's a nice foliage.

10/05/2017 11:57 am  #13

I returned from shall lake access point about 2 weeks ago. It's a ways past the eastern gate, about 45 minute drive. many sites on crotch lake are exactly what you are looking for. They are large with sandy beaches, no leeches, about 20 minute paddle from car parking, no portaging at all.
But, I would highly recommend you buy several bags of firewood in Whitney at the grocery store. A half a minute to the right of the LCBO on Hwy 60. Bags are large, and have pine/hardwoods mix. Much better and larger then park bags.
There is little wood to be found on the sites.
Ofcourse, booth is an option too,

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.