You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2017 8:26 am  #1

9/29/2017 10:51 am  #2

Re: canada dropping impaired canoeing charges?

Makes sense because the punishment can't be consistent between charges.

For example:

Scenario 1:
I'm drunk in my canoe. I have an Ontario drivers license, so I am charged under the H.T.A., I receive demerit points AND a license suspension - along with a hefty fine and possibly impound my vehicle.

Scenario 2:
I'm drunk in my canoe. I DO NOT have an Ontario drivers license (or any license fo that matter). I can be charged, but the punishment isn't the same. I do not have a vehicle to be impounded, I won't get any demerit points nor will my license be suspended (because I don't have a license) so really - all I will get is a fine.

The fact that all cases can't be punished the same implies (and is fact) that some people are punished much much harder than others, for the EXACT same offense - which isn't consistent with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I'm glad this will be lifted, not so I can get hammered in my canoe, but for the overall fairness to anyone in this situation.

Crack a beer and get paddling! (or not)

9/29/2017 12:03 pm  #3

I guess I'm not one to comment because if I have a beer a year that was a big drinking year for me, but the time I spend in the canoe is just....hard to explain.  I can't imagine defiling her beautiful hull, that special place, with a bunch of empty beer cans.  Pretty much the last place I could imagine tying one on.

9/29/2017 1:02 pm  #4

When I used to tell my buds about that law they just looked at me like I was making it up. Peek has it right, the Supremes would have knocked that down if it ever came into their court. The CSBC need to use common sense when trying to keep that law in the books.

Just to clarify, I always wear my lifejacket when drinking in the canoe...actually, I always wear the thing

9/29/2017 2:29 pm  #5

I had no idea it was illegal ... we don't typically drink at all when canoeing ... we save booze for the evening. 

but I agree ... it doesn't sound enforceable anyway ...    

9/30/2017 8:02 pm  #6

Well this is a refreshing (potential) change. I've always thought this was an incredibly illogical generalization. While it's true that you can harm another person while intoxicated in a canoe, the scale is not even close to the damage delivered by a car. The consequences should not be the same. Partaking in almost any activity while intoxicated carries a degree of risk, but you can still go to licensed axe throwing venues, so this canoe thing never made sense to me. Heck, it included float tubes for crying out loud!

Very pleased about the prospect of enjoying a can of quality Ontario craft beer while out for a day of canoe fishing in the back county, without fear of having my driver's license suspended.

10/29/2017 11:31 am  #7

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.