You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2017 11:22 pm  #1

Trip suggestion and water levels

Hi everyone,

We are planning to be in APP starting on Oct 12 for 3 nights, a group of 3 guys from London ON.

Here's the rub: One guy can't leave until 3 PM on Oct 12. But this is the last trip of the season, so the other two really wanna maximize their time in the park and put in some miles.

So the plan is for two to put in, paddle on Thursday and then meet up with the third guy on Thursday night (preferably) or Friday.

My thought for the trip itinerary is as follows:
- 2 guys leave early Thursday, put in on Sunday Creek (access 10). Take the low maintenance route to Rock Lake (access 9). Set up camp on one of the campsites on Rock Lake. I
- 3rd guy leaves London at 3, arrives to Rock Lake at 8, meet up on a campsite in Rock Lake
- next two days do the Welcom- Louisa loop from Rock Lake
- on Sunday, take out at Rock Lake, drive to Sunday Creek to pick up the other car

Couple of questions:
1. Any other route recommendations?
2. How are water levels on the creek from access 10 to 9?

Thanks all!!
Marko

9/27/2017 5:03 am  #2

Re: Trip suggestion and water levels

I was in sunday creek in June, the creek is quite shallow in alot of spots, rather than having a deep spot it gets too wide sometimes, but if it's similar now it's not too bad. also norway to fork , tiny little beaver dam, easy to get on top of and shove the canoe over.

9/27/2017 7:23 am  #3

Re: Trip suggestion and water levels

Sunday creek doesn't have much watershed area to it and the recent dry weather might mean that there isn't enough water in it to be navigable... IIRC others have been stopped by low water during fall but who knows.

If it were me, by Oct 12 the poplars could be changing color and there are a lot of them on the north shore of Galeairy... a loop through there might provide more color than maples which will be past their peak.. IIRC, there are red oaks on the headland east of Loon Island (see Jeff's map) and a campsite which could also provide some good color, if the poplars and oaks do decide to color up at that time... good luck.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.