You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2015 11:11 am  #18

Re: Yurt Camping

A few other notes on my reply above thought...

1. There isn't much open up there or even on the way up there.  I'd suggest filling up with gas in Huntsville and getting anything you need there as well.  Whitney has a grocery store and liquor store as well that will be open.
2. The firewood in the park over the past few years has been terrible and has been the source for some debate.  You cannot transport wood into the park if you reside in an Emerald Ash Borer area which means you have to get your wood at the park or on the way in (which I have not seen).  The wood has been very wet at the Park and takes a lot of work to get a decent fire going
3. There are laundry facilities at the comfort station (as well as an ice skating rink
4. If you have a tent with a vestibule, Id recommend putting an electric heater in that area so that it is not in your tent and easy to knock over or melt your gear.  I did that many times and it worked great !

9/16/2015 3:01 pm  #19

Skating rink!!!  Definitely going to bring my skates, thanks for the heads up:D

9/16/2015 3:06 pm  #20

If you like skating rinks note that when it gets cold enough, Arrowhead Provincial Park converts the road through one of its (closed) campgrounds into a skating loop, maybe 1.5 or 2 km long. On Saturday nights they light it up with tiki torches and let the skating continue until 9 or so. Not sure how early in the season they typically start, it's weather-dependent of course.

9/28/2015 9:17 am  #21

I'm a little mystyfied as to why the yurts are not supplied with a propane powered stove in the winter months.  We've used the yurts in Gatineau Park, north of Ottawa and they are equipped with a propane powered stove which allows you to cook inside.  Anyone who has a nice heated shelter isn't going to want to cook outside when it is cold and windy.   By not supplying a stove that is safe to use indoors there is the potential for a group to use a stove that produces a dangerous level of carbon monoxide.

9/28/2015 2:07 pm  #22

yellowcanoe; they don't allow cooking in the yurts so as not to attract bears with cooking smells, also I don't think some of the yahoos that go up there could be trusted not to burn them down
There's been quite a problem with bears the last couple of years, and I imagine they'd really like bacon flavoured canvas

9/28/2015 4:43 pm  #23

scoutergriz wrote:

yellowcanoe; they don't allow cooking in the yurts so as not to attract bears with cooking smells, also I don't think some of the yahoos that go up there could be trusted not to burn them down
There's been quite a problem with bears the last couple of years, and I imagine they'd really like bacon flavoured canvas

Are bears a problem in the winter?

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/28/2015 4:44 pm  #24

Barbara wrote:

Barbara

Ya beat me to it Barb!!

9/28/2015 4:45 pm  #25

I would think it comes down to a safety issue having any open flame inside of structure like that.  It wouldn't take long before it were either damaged in some way, if not burnt right down.  That's just my thoughts.

9/28/2015 4:49 pm  #26

yellowcanoe wrote:

I'm a little mystyfied as to why the yurts are not supplied with a propane powered stove in the winter months.  We've used the yurts in Gatineau Park, north of Ottawa and they are equipped with a propane powered stove which allows you to cook inside.  Anyone who has a nice heated shelter isn't going to want to cook outside when it is cold and windy.   By not supplying a stove that is safe to use indoors there is the potential for a group to use a stove that produces a dangerous level of carbon monoxide.

No cooking, smoking,  or pets allowed inside the yurts in Algonquin Park.  The yurts are supposed to have propane barbecues.

All about yurting in Algonquin Park:

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/camping/yurts-in-algonquin-park.php

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (9/28/2015 4:49 pm)

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/28/2015 4:52 pm  #27

BethNearNorth wrote:

Barbara wrote:

Barbara

Ya beat me to it Barb!!

Hi, Beth!  Howya doin'?

Yeah, I think it's the "yahoo factor"....no open flames inside the yurts, either.

Barbara

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/28/2015 11:13 pm  #28

noooo bears aren't a problem in the winter, sheesh
those yurts stay up all year and it'd probably be pretty hard to get the food smells out of the fabric.

9/29/2015 7:13 am  #29

scoutergriz wrote:

noooo bears aren't a problem in the winter, sheesh
those yurts stay up all year and it'd probably be pretty hard to get the food smells out of the fabric.

I've always wondered about the pervasiveness of the lingering "human smells"....

ewwww

Barbara

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/29/2015 10:57 am  #30

I know I have some pretty serious "lingering smells" in my sleeping bag...especially after a couple big bowls of home made chili

...kidding..of course ;)

10/13/2015 1:28 pm  #31

Susan were you able to reserve a yurt or are you going to give tent camping a try?
We are going up either the 29th or 30th, leaving on the 2nd.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.