You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2017 3:20 am  #1

2/3 day canoe trip

Hello all,

Next summer, my girlfriend and I are travelling to Canada. We would love to go to the Algonquin Park for a few days , but we do not really know what to do.
We are definitely looking for some adventure, but we have no idea where to head with the canoe.
We will be arriving by Parkbus from Toronto, so the options of where to start are limited. We can choose between the Portage store, Algonquin outfitters and Lake of two rivers store. What do you recommend for us ? It's the first time backcountry, but we have some experience with camping, however we will not have any camping stuff with us , so I don't know if camping is even possible.

Is it a good idea to choose one place to spend 2 nights , so we have a full day where we can explore the park without our backpacks ?

Thanks in advance

9/19/2017 6:59 am  #2

Re: 2/3 day canoe trip

Depending on your budget, the outfitters will offer "packages" that will have all camping gear included, as well as canoes. If you're planning on doing 2 nights and it's your first time backcountry, staying at the same campsite and having a rest day would be a good idea. A nice 2-nighter is Rock to Clydegale - it's about 4hrs of travel, very light on portaging, and Clydegale is a pretty and relatively private lake, with good campsites. You pass a couple waterfalls, and you can hike the Booth Rock Trail at the end of the trip for a nice viewpoint.

Go to www.algonquinmap.com and you can find the route I'm talking about. It starts at Access Point #9 and goes south from Rock to Pen to Clydegale.

There are plenty of options though, the park is pretty massive. You should speak with some of the outfitters first and see what's feasible in terms of pricing and gear.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.