You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/09/2017 12:13 pm  #1

October fishing

I'm new to canoe tripping and even newer to fishing. I'm doing my first fall canoe trip into the park to various lakes. Oct 6th for a week or more. Wondering if there will be fish biting at that time and maybe what I should be looking for out there.

YG2D

9/09/2017 5:00 pm  #2

Re: October fishing

Am I even allowed to fish in october.

YG2D

9/09/2017 10:23 pm  #3

look at zone 15 ontario fishing regs, will tell ya,,,, bass, splake (stocked lakes) pike are open
    good luck, no bugs

9/10/2017 6:24 am  #4

Ya look at the regs.  But FYI...lake trout and brook trout seasons close there Sep 30th.

9/10/2017 10:18 am  #5

I found the info thank you

YG2D

9/11/2017 1:25 pm  #6

A great time of year to fish in my opinion ... pike are quite active feeding before fall ... bass too.  Ah who am I kidding its always a great time of year to fish. 

Check jeffs map for pike and bass lakes ... there's tons to choose from that you don't have to venture too far to get some decent action. 

Personally if you are not going for splake then pick a lake that has both pike and bass ... I find them more productive that a lake with just one or the other ...  

9/12/2017 7:25 am  #7

Well, there are very few lakes in Algonquin that have both pike and bass, because there are very few lakes in Algonquin that have pike at all, though most of those that do also have bass. Basically there's the Booth-Shall corridor (around access point 17), there's Basin and Upper Pine lakes, and there's Sec and Wet in the far east of the park. That's about it for pike in Algonquin.

Curemd, as you probably saw in the regs, lake and brook trout are closed in October. And these are the main game fish in many of the lakes through the core of the park. Splake are open but basically only exist in a few select lakes where they're stocked. Bass are open and more widespread in the park than splake or pike, but still only exist in certain areas... along the Highway 60 corridor, along the North Tea-Kioshkokwi corridor in the northwest corner, a few lakes north of Canoe and west to Rain, the Petawawa River corridor downstream from Cedar Lake, and a few lakes and rivers in the east and south ends of the park. Jeffsmap shows most trout, bass and pike occurrances in most lakes.

If you've already planned your trip and it's through trout lakes, you may be limited to perch and sunfish if they're even there... unless someone knows how to target whitefish in the fall (no netting in Algonquin btw).

9/12/2017 7:59 am  #8

DanPM wrote:

Well, there are very few lakes in Algonquin that have both pike and bass, because there are very few lakes in Algonquin that have pike at all, though most of those that do also have bass. Basically there's the Booth-Shall corridor (around access point 17), there's Basin and Upper Pine lakes, and there's Sec and Wet in the far east of the park. That's about it for pike in Algonquin.

Curemd, as you probably saw in the regs, lake and brook trout are closed in October. And these are the main game fish in many of the lakes through the core of the park. Splake are open but basically only exist in a few select lakes where they're stocked. Bass are open and more widespread in the park than splake or pike, but still only exist in certain areas... along the Highway 60 corridor, along the North Tea-Kioshkokwi corridor in the northwest corner, a few lakes north of Canoe and west to Rain, the Petawawa River corridor downstream from Cedar Lake, and a few lakes and rivers in the east and south ends of the park. Jeffsmap shows most trout, bass and pike occurrances in most lakes.

If you've already planned your trip and it's through trout lakes, you may be limited to perch and sunfish if they're even there... unless someone knows how to target whitefish in the fall (no netting in Algonquin btw).

Well it's 6-7 day trip and when I went to reserve I could only reserve for my first two nights because the park stop taking reservations or whatever. It's going to be an easy trip being it's my first fall trip(cold). I reserved my first two nights on casey lake. I may change that. Go up to moccasin for my first two night shows bass there.

YG2D

9/12/2017 6:33 pm  #9

Not from personal experience, but I've heard the bass fishing in Moccasin isn't actually very good... Jubilee or Islet would be better, in that area. Someone can hopefully vouch.

9/13/2017 6:43 am  #10

I dont know much about moccassin but ya I agree. i have heard the bass fishing is better in that area in Jubilee and Islet.

9/13/2017 8:34 am  #11

If you go up into that area (Islet/Jubilee) make a point on whetting a line on Hot Lake! Great Lake for bass

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.