You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/07/2017 1:57 pm  #1

Tenting with a Dog

Looking for some opinions from those who have done any camping, solo or otherwise with their dog.

I'm awaiting the arrival of our pup in the next handful of months and am starting to think about what camping will be like with her. Specifically when it comes to our sleeping arangement. 

I already own a MEC Volt A/C 3 which is perfect for the lady and myself, and can easily accommodate the pooch, but for solo camping it's going to be overkill. I've got a large group trip to Killarney coming up this month and am looking for a solo tent because I like my own space, but think it would be wise to consider this purchase as one for a man and his dog.

I'm looking at the Eureka Midori Solo - https://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/628?s=section_4

I like that its cheap, relatively light, and had a large vestibule. Is is reasonable to think that the dog can sleep in the vestibule beside me? If it's wet, maybe put down a mat? She's a Nova Scotia Duck Toller, who only grow to be about 38lbs, so not a big dog by any means.

Any opinions or advice is welcome here.

9/07/2017 2:34 pm  #2

Re: Tenting with a Dog

A couple of thoughts about counting on the vestibule:

1) No bug protection in bug seasons. Scott and I had Trigger with us on an overnight in blackfly season this year and he needed the protection of the tent as much as we did. 

2) The vestibule isn't really contained the way the inside of the tent is. That means your dog can wander out while your asleep. 

Looking at the Midori Solo, it looks like it should be big enough for an NSDT to squeeze in with you. You can leave gear in the vestibule if you need to. 

9/07/2017 3:10 pm  #3

I've camped with my dog many times and would also suggest that he be in the tent.  When car camping the skunks and racoons make their rounds just after dark and in Algonquin there's plenty more critters around so good chance the dog will get in a dust up or worse ... 

For our mutt we always put down a blanket so that his nails would not cut the floor ...  other than that he was A ok in the tent .. loved it. 

I'd also suggest you get him in the canoe as early as possible ... mine got in late and never sat still ...

Funny story ... I was fishing in a boat with my dog and landed a pretty good pike ... the fish was not yet played out and was flopping all over the place .. scared the crap out of the dog and he jumped out of the boat !!  Luckily we were close to shore and he just swam in ...

9/07/2017 7:17 pm  #4

My dog mostly sleeps in the vestibule, though I let her in the tent once this year when bugs were really bad.  There is a risk that she wanders and gets into trouble, but that is very dog-specific in my experience.  

x2 about getting your dog used to canoeing as early as possible.

9/07/2017 8:45 pm  #5

You need to protect him/her from bugs.  Depending on the dog it will be up listening to the noises etc at night. It would be terrible to loose your dog in the park if he took off after something. Keep him or her inside with you.
I tried camping in the tent one night with Bert, my current beagle. He sat at attention at my feet just listening and smelling things. Pretty sure he did not sleep. He loves the chase.  So if something small came in the night,  he would be gone.
Get your dog a good fitting life jacket. Dogs are particularly prone to hypothermia in water if exposed to long. I have a nice Salus I have for my friends beagle to come on the boat with me. Made in Canada and I can pick up the dog by the hand lifts and she is completely comfortable. Does not even get excited. She also runs around with it on just like her harness. Doesn't slow her down at all. Bert  is new to the family and will have one before he boats or canoes.

Get a small dog first aid kit. You will find lists of what you need on multiple web sites. I think in one of Kevin Callens books he has a list of the basics you should have to take care of your dog.

Last edited by Shark (9/07/2017 8:58 pm)

9/08/2017 9:28 am  #6

Thanks for the input all.

I don't think I'll mind having her in the tent with me sometimes, especially in buggy situations. I'm a short guy and there would most certainly be room at my feet for her. The thought of having her in the vestibule crossed my mind when I started thinking about how filthy she could get, especially when wet and muddy.

I wonder if staking down her leash at night if she was in the vestibule would be a feasible solution so she doesn't wander off while I'm asleep. It's impossible for me to speak to her behaviour or temperament because, well I don't have her yet.

Getting her into the canoe as a pup, life jacket, first aid are all on my list of things to have and do.

9/08/2017 11:19 am  #7

I have honestly never been camping without one of my dogs. I've literally spent thousands of nights in a tent with at least one dog. My German shepherd (12 years old)used to stay up all night listening to every little noise, but not once has he woken me up because of another animal (in the back country anyways). He is getting very old now so I recently started bringing our 1.5 year old Shepherd/Retriever mix. I started her in the canoe when she was under a year old, whereas the 12 year old wasn't introduced until 5 years old (rescue dog), already the younger dog is much better behaved than the older one is to this day. 
I always let them sleep inside the tent, I don't think they have ever spent a night camping outside of the tent actually. I have a "two-person" tent for when going solo with just one dog, which is a perfect size. I bring along fleece Hudson Bay blanket which weighs nothing and packs down to nothing, the blanket fits perfectly on the bottom of the tent to stop the dogs nails from piercing the thin material.
Earlier this year I knew it was going to be a clear night so I decided o go flyless, well when the sun went down my dog decided she wanted to go to bed so she clawed her way through the mesh on the door. So if your dog really likes being in the tent, always keep the fly on, and vestibule closed.  

9/08/2017 12:16 pm  #8

ATVenture wrote:

... well when the sun went down my dog decided she wanted to go to bed ...

My German Short Haired Pointer was like that. As soon as it got dark out she went to bed. Camping that meant heading into the tent - which if it wasn't buggy would usually have the door open. At the cottage, she would head inside and it didn't matter what anyone else was doing, she was going to bed. 

9/08/2017 12:18 pm  #9

basilthegood wrote:

...The thought of having her in the vestibule crossed my mind when I started thinking about how filthy she could get, especially when wet and muddy.

It's guaranteed that you'll be sleeping with a wet dog at some point, but I've been pleasantly surprised over the years at how much they do tend to dry off before bedtime. Still, it's worth packing a towel to wipe them down. 

9/08/2017 9:30 pm  #10

I have an 80-lb golden doodle, we have tripped solo and with my three kids. Here are my thoughts:

1. Most essential is to make sure your dog is trained to return. They may be off sniffing and chasing squirrels and they may wander. If they don't come back on command, I would feel very uncomfortable bringing them into the bush for fear of them getting lost

2. Train them to sit and stay in the canoe, and to disembark on command. Incidentally, also works well for children. I find the highest risk of tipping is when they see land and know the end of that leg of the trip is close. He will stay until I say "out".

3. Tick control. There is monthly medication to keep ticks away, get it and use it. Also have a bandana and don't apply DEET directly to fur.

4. The dog sleeps in a tent with me, on his own small blanket. A 3-person tent is perfect, I don't see why you'd need to buy another. Same as ATV, my dog scratched his way out of the tent when I left it closed accidentally (went to pee in the middle of the night). Don't do that. I would recommend leaving the bottom part of the zipper open at most times.

5. I think this depends on the dog, but if they are a good swimmer, I don't think a life jacket is worth it. Weight, abrasion and ulcers due to long periods in the canoe. If you decide to have them wear one, check very regularly around the openings to make sure there are no developing sores.

6. Backpacks from RuffWear are great. The dog carries his own blanket and food. Obviously not with the life jacket.

7. Quick dry towel for the dog goes a long way on a rainy day before bed.

8. First aid is a must. Vet wrap is great for them and for you. Ask your vet. Obviously get all vaccines up to date. And again flea/tick control is key.

Best tripping partner ever. Lives in the moment. Never complains. Love that dog.

Cheers
Marko

9/08/2017 9:42 pm  #11

There is a 2 person Midori. Go with that or continue with the 3 person. I can't imagine Bert being left outside. If he is wet and dirty, clean up to best of your ability. I can't imagine while you are tripping you are perfectly clean. Definitely bring him a blanket. Bert would be allowed in my bag and I am 6'3. I would not want him cold all night. More likely spread out the cover below us and rectangle bag over us. Depending on temperature or two rectangle bags.  Think about it. If he is already wet,  he will be cold over night and he can't huddle with his pack for warmth if they are in a tent he can't get to.

9/08/2017 10:00 pm  #12

I have camped with my two dogs before for two nights.  They are both about 70-75lbs.  I had a 6 man tent though at the time.  Set up a tarp on one side of the tent with a big blanket on it for them, beside that was me on my mat.
I had a small area just inside the tent where i towelled them off before bed.  It rained hard for one of the evenings and nights.  I suggest putting a tarp up over the fromt of the tent and covering about 6 feet out infront of the tent so you can dry the dog off out of the tent while still being covered.

9/08/2017 11:13 pm  #13

Greatly appreciate the wealth of info and opinions coming through here. 

I'd like to clarify I have no problem having the pooch sleeping in with me, it's more so if I can reasonably expect both of us to be comfortable in the solo. I'm 5'5'' and she'll be no more than 40lbs tops.

There wouldn't be enough differentiation between a 2 person and my Volt 3 to justify a purchase, particularly in the >$200 range, whereas the solo would cut down considerably in packed size and weight. My Volt 3 is 5.5lbs, the Midori Solo is 3.5lbs. If I looked at the Midori 2 its 4.4lbs. So it comes down to either keep rolling with the Volt 3 or buy a solo.

Just when I thought I have all the gear I'd ever need, I get a new family member to buy gear for. Good thing I like gear.

9/09/2017 9:06 am  #14

You are looking at spending $200-300 to decrease your pack weight by 2 lbs and risk being cramped in with a wet dog for a weekend. I don't think it's worth it.

If you have an extra $200 and are looking to save weight, buy a carbon paddle like a Werner or Grey Owl and that will save you 2 lbs (and you can use it without your dog!)

Just a thought

M

9/12/2017 9:29 am  #15

Our dog sleeps in our bed at home.   Before we got a trailer for car camping we would have a blanket for her in our tent.  Worked out fine, expect on cooler nights. 

Yes,  that's her tail. 

9/13/2017 7:32 pm  #16

As a pro dog trainer, allow me to post one suggestion for everyone taking their dog along, in the wilderness.
The 3 skills your dog needs in order to be safe in the wilderness:
1)  ATTENTION:  a rock solid way for you to get your dog's attention on you, even when they may be mid-flight after a squirrel or a deer; this will allow you to ask for the next behaviour of
2)  DOWN-AT-A-DISTANCE:  you should be able to drop your dog into a down, when far away from you, without the need to come all the way back to you, first.  Lying down and staying in place will have the effect of dropping your dog's arousal level, so that you can then decide when to ask for the next one;
3)  RECALL or COME-WHEN-CALLED:  you should be able to call your dog back to you, whenever you need, regardless of what else is happening. 

I have enjoyed backpacking Algonquin with one dog at a time, with 3 of my dogs, over the past 11 years.  I wish you all the best for a fun and safe journey with your dog(s).
p.s. I love the Midori 2 for me and my 80 lb German Shepherd

9/14/2017 7:26 am  #17

FWIW, I'm 6'1 and I used to camp with a golden retriever at my feet in a solo tent (MSR hubba). I didn't buy the tent for that purpose and it was a little cramped, but it worked. I've thought of putting dogs in the vestibule but I'm just nervous about sleeping through ugly animal encounters and stuff.

As to the question about whether a solo tent is worth the weight savings... in canoe tripping and especially solo tripping, it's more about bulk than weight. Will the smaller tent make a difference in your total pack setup? Will it get you down to one backpack so you can single-carry portages with your paddle tied to the thwarts? Or at least make double-carrying easier?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.