You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2017 10:33 pm  #18

Re: Sec/Mallard/Pretty Lake - Easy Fall Trip with Dad?

Hi Steve,
I think there are some hunt camps just outside the park boundary near Sec/Mallard, but I suspect the folks there stick to crown land.  Only (certain?) Indigenous peoples are allowed to hunt within the park boundary proper, and my understanding from talking to a ranger is that they hunt much further inland, and are to stay away from lakes/campsites/portages.  Now, I have no first hand experience as to whether everyone follows the rules or not.

Pretty Lake is a nice spot, but I suspect you would inevitably see more traffic than at Sec.  Others on this board (like John) can no doubt give you first hand info.

Fred

9/01/2017 10:43 am  #19

For what its wroth I have never seen a moose in the Sec area ... but if they are hunting deer then who knows. 

Bo knows that area pretty well .. he might have some thoughts ...

9/04/2017 10:13 am  #20

Steve.

I have no idea when hunting season is this year in the Sec Lake area.

​Some years ago, I camped on Sec Lake for 10 days and got there before hunting season started..  I didn't know that it was hunting season until I started hearing gunshots but to me they were far away.  I never  travelled through the Sec forest during the time that I was there and  just stayed at my campsite or in canoe fishing.  For what it is worth, I have never seen a deer and/or a moose on or close to Sec Lake.

​Also, there were others camping on Sec Lake during the time I was there, but none of them were hunters.

​When I left, there was a hunters camp just outside the Park's boundary on the road into Sec Lake.

​Like I said earlier, I would never camp again on Sec Lake during hunting season.  For me, .it is  discomforting to hear gunshot sounds occasionally.  Anyways, that is my two cents.

Last edited by boknows (9/04/2017 10:35 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

9/04/2017 10:34 am  #21

Hmmm thanks Bo that info is helpful.  Does anyone know the exact dates the hunting seasons run?  We'd mostly be exploring the trails and rivers etc that run off the road...

John thanks again for your insight.  I checked the logging info and it looks like there is some logging going on in that area and the road is designated a fall hauling road...

9/04/2017 11:01 am  #22

Ah perfect, thank you sir!

10/07/2017 11:41 am  #23

Sorry guys but is the campsite at Number One Lake a walk-in site as well?  We're heading up Nov 1 -5 and we're debating between the walk-in sites at Basin, Sec or Mallard and am wondering about Number One as an option.

Thanks!

10/08/2017 6:46 am  #24

Hi Steve,

Yes, you can walk to both of the sites on Number One Lake. I've camped there twice when arriving after the Sand Lake permit office was closed. It's not well-marked but you can see the portage sign from the road, and there is room to park a vehicle or two.

Matt

10/08/2017 8:11 am  #25

MattJ wrote:

Hi Steve,

Yes, you can walk to both of the sites on Number One Lake. I've camped there twice when arriving after the Sand Lake permit office was closed. It's not well-marked but you can see the portage sign from the road, and there is room to park a vehicle or two.

Matt

I'll add that the site closest to the parking area is the nicest as far as I can remember. The portage is quite easy and short (slight incline I think, but its not much and makes the site itself feel more private).
The only thing is they will probably be hauling logs on the Achray Rd. steady. Every fall I've ever been in that area this has been the case, and for whatever reason I find the drivers are crazier out that way as well, so be careful!

When will you be going?

Last edited by ATVenture (10/08/2017 8:12 am)

10/08/2017 9:43 am  #26

Thanks for the info.  We're heading up Nov 1-5 I think.  Is the Sand Lake Gate open at that time?  How does one go about paying for their spot if the gate is closed?

10/08/2017 9:53 am  #27

Steve E wrote:

Thanks for the info.  We're heading up Nov 1-5 I think.  Is the Sand Lake Gate open at that time?  How does one go about paying for their spot if the gate is closed?

There is probably a good chance I'll be in the area during that time. 
I'm not sure about the Sand Lake Gate, but I'm assuming today or tomorrow will be the last day of it being open... Although last year I believe it was they extended their dates and didn't post it on the website. I think they remained open for a week or two after the long weekend.
When the office is closed they have a self-serve station. Make sure you have exact change for your permit (unless you want to leave a tip Haha). You fill out your information, put your cash in an envelope and put it in the drop slot/box. I believe this is the only access point that offers this unfortunately, which I find is kind of stupid. They should all have this feature.

10/08/2017 9:59 am  #28

Oh good point re the exact change!  Thanks for the tips   Where are you going to be staying when you go up?

10/08/2017 10:05 am  #29

Steve E wrote:

Oh good point re the exact change!  Thanks for the tips   Where are you going to be staying when you go up?

Either Sec Lake or somewhere on the Barron River. I want to hopefully do a small loop starting at Brigham down through High Falls, then back up through Length, Cork, Opalescent. I'll probably save Sec Lake for later in the season closer to freeze up (mid-Nov -> early Dec.) Looking at the forecast I won't be surprised if we have a late ice-up again this year. The water is way warmer than normal for this time, and there aren't any very cold lows for the next 14 days.

10/08/2017 12:17 pm  #30

NIce!  Well maybe we'll bump into you in the area!

10/09/2017 10:06 pm  #31

Sorry for all the questions here folks....but if I wanted to buy firewood up there, is there a place near the Sand Lake gate to buy wood?

10/10/2017 7:34 am  #32

Right when you turn onto the Achray road only a few houses down on the left there is a house selling wood out front. I'm not sure if they still sell it this late in the season, but I would think they would have something for you. They have a little stand setup at the end of their driveway saying "Wood For Sale $5" I believe. It looks decent too.

10/10/2017 3:18 pm  #33

ATVenture wrote:

MattJ wrote:

Hi Steve,

Matt

I'll add that the site closest to the parking area is the nicest as far as I can remember. The portage is quite easy and short (slight incline I think, but its not much and makes the site itself feel more private).
The only thing is they will probably be hauling logs on the Achray Rd. steady. Every fall I've ever been in that area this has been the case, and for whatever reason I find the drivers are crazier out that way as well, so be careful!

When will you be going?

I was on Number one a couple weeks back and I agree with ATVenture; the portage site is the better of the two. The hill behind the site does a good job of making the road feel further away than it is

10/10/2017 4:47 pm  #34

Awesome info!  How loud is the road noise from Number One?  I'm assuming there's a lot of logging so did you find you heard the trucks a lot and was it loud?

And thanks for the tip for the wood ATVenture!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.