You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2017 2:46 pm  #18

Re: October clothing.

PaPaddler wrote:

@ Ed, Edd & EddyTurn...not a misprint.  No doubt that cotton gets wet like a wick...it also dries out fast in front of a fire.

Like hell it does . And if it rains... - jeans has to be hanged properly under a tarp and the fire shall be hot enough to dry the jeans, but not to burn the tarp. Well, I'll stick to nylon.

8/31/2017 4:19 pm  #19

Just my 2 cents but I steer totally clear of anything cotton as well....I've had the opposite experince as PaPaddler and found that when I used to wear cotton (jeans particularly) they NEVER dried and do not have any insulating abilities when wet or damp.  I do agree cotton is comfy though....Again, just my 2 cents

9/01/2017 1:08 am  #20

Keep an eye out for a down vest at Value Village or Costco.  They pack down to nothing and offer a lot of thermal value.   

9/01/2017 10:06 am  #21

Layer, layer, layer--thin and thermal  Value Village can be a hit or miss place but def worth a look-see.
I scored a North Face water/wind proof outer mid-length shell in my size there--Gore-Tex...for $15!
Also I never pay more than $7 for work jeans since they'll just be shredded after a few months wear.

Love cheap thrills...and a good bargain!!  

9/01/2017 10:25 am  #22

i've found that a snug-fitting fleece vest under a hooded puffy jacket (mine is not down but climashield or something synthetic like that) is a good fall weather combo. Add a shell with pit zips, a wool neck tube and toque, and I'm comfy.

Also, if  down is your thing, Uniqlo down clothing can be a pretty good deal (for down). It's not Patagonia or North Face, but it's pretty good value.
Vests are $60, jackets $80, and hooded jackets $100.
Also try the Pacific Mall (Kennedy and Steeles, in T.O.) for Chinese down imports at low prices (for down.)

Last edited by Methye (9/01/2017 10:26 am)

9/03/2017 9:57 am  #23

A good friend of mine just ordered me a wooly pully sweater from outdoor knit.he got me the one with no patches.  As an early b day present. Made of 100% British wool. I got an xl I hope it fits and comes before I leave on my trip. I imagine it's heavy but I plan on wearing it as my go to paddling and portage sweater over top of a base layer and underneath my jacket. I think if it fits proper I will be more then warm with it. My friend is in the army and he says on his long cold overnight hikes it's his go to sweater over anything at mec or hikers haven. It was free so I can't complain. Lol still searching for other more lighter options.

YG2D

9/03/2017 4:01 pm  #24

Value village paid off. Picked a real ugly looking Columbia sweater 80%merino wool and gap sweater 100% lambs wool. 8 bucks each. Ugly as heck but I'm not looking to impress the bears or moose. Heavy and thick but much needed to keep me warm. Next year I will worry about weight. This my first cold camp.

YG2D

9/04/2017 7:58 am  #25

Curemd wrote:

A good friend of mine just ordered me a wooly pully sweater from outdoor knit.he got me the one with no patches. As an early b day present. Made of 100% British wool. I got an xl I hope it fits and comes before I leave on my trip. I imagine it's heavy but I plan on wearing it as my go to paddling and portage sweater over top of a base layer and underneath my jacket. I think if it fits proper I will be more then warm with it. My friend is in the army and he says on his long cold overnight hikes it's his go to sweater over anything at mec or hikers haven. It was free so I can't complain. Lol still searching for other more lighter options.

Lemme know how it fits/feels! Looks like good product for a great price. 
I'm still waiting for my girlfriend to knit me a sweater. Haha

9/04/2017 9:39 am  #26

Congratulations on the find, curemd!  Well done.  Be sure to take the steps necessary to keep your clothes and sleeping bag dry....

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.