You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2015 12:31 am  #35

Re: Your Favorite Algonquin Pics

Getting a 10 stop filter was a really, really good idea
Cascadia by Zen, on Flickr

9/20/2015 6:35 am  #36

NIce Zen!  I've always been interested in getting a big stop filter like that...love the effect

9/21/2015 2:01 pm  #37

Thanks Steve! I decided on not holding out and spending way too much money on a Lee Big Stopper and instead went with a screw on filter. I get all my stuff through a good friend at Henrys and got a decent price on it as well

9/21/2015 2:18 pm  #38

Sounds like that's a very good friend to have

9/23/2015 7:45 pm  #39

Opalescent Lake - Sept ,'14

Burnt Island - Aug '14

Sunday Creek - May '14

McCraney Lake - July '15

I figure it's time to share
K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

9/23/2015 10:54 pm  #40

Kelly how cart friendly was the cart trail into McCraney?

9/24/2015 5:13 am  #41

Hard to say as it had been raining quite a bit prior to my going in so the portage was very swampy. If it was in Aug onward when things are dried out it probably would be fine as it is flat and wide. Little rock. I went when things were very wet and spent a quarter of that portage wading through muck and puddles. I haven't used a canoe cart so really Have no basis for comparison.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

9/24/2015 9:56 am  #42

Nice pics Kelly! How do you find the pack boat? I'm really interested in getting one.

9/24/2015 6:16 pm  #43

I love my 13.6 Pack. Its my baby.  It is also the only canoe I have ever owned and Ive only paddled a handful of rentals prior to purchasing it so I'm no expert. I do find it a bit tricky getting in and out of, as it has a low center of gravity. You CANNOT kneel in it so if you are more comfortable sitting its the way to go. It is not fast but stable. I am still challenged with finding a good way to portage it. There is little room between the thwarts for your pack to fit in behind you and the seat gets in the way even when its in the down position. It rests on my head! Even if I use a yoke it rests on my head - and that is how I carry it by the way.I popped the thwart in behind the seat on my McCraney trip because the seat rests right back on it. I took it into Swift and they repaired it and moved the thwarts out further so this would not be a problem again - at no charge ( thank you Swift for standing behind your product ). Even with all that, I still love it and trust it to get me across the lake and help me create memories of my Algonquin adventures

Cheers
K

- Philip Chester

9/24/2015 6:22 pm  #44

My poor baby!
 K

- Philip Chester

9/24/2015 8:06 pm  #45

Kelly, have you tried a yoke pad on a removable yoke to create more space between your head and the seat?  I have a brand new Swift yoke that would fit your boat if you want to try it.

9/25/2015 9:16 am  #46

Shawn, I have not tried a pad before. I had not considered this. It would need to be a couple inches thick to make a difference. I appreciate the offer. If I could try it just in the backyard to see if the setup works that would be great - thanks

@ Zensoloist - Im going to be planning a trip probably for Oct 3-6 in around the Pen Lk area I think ( nothing concrete yet ) I will confirm and If you are around you are more than welcome to swing by and check out my boat. Can't remember reading in previous posts if you have tried one yet, if not, you can take mine for a quick spin.

K

- Philip Chester

9/25/2015 9:24 am  #47

Appreciate the offer Kelly! I'm still undecided on an exact date (keeping an eye on the colour report) and location but that makes me want be in that area

9/25/2015 9:55 am  #48

At the risk of being creepy, I'll PM you and make arrangements to meet you in a public area to hand off the yoke 😀
I'm heading into the park early tomorrow morning for 4 days but will PM you when I get back.  I'm in Barrie every day.

9/25/2015 10:17 am  #49

I dont think your creepy at all Shawn lol

K

- Philip Chester

9/30/2015 1:38 pm  #50

Colour palette by Zen, on Flickr

9/30/2015 9:50 pm  #51

You captured some beautiful color on the water. Where is it?

- Philip Chester

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.