You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2017 8:01 pm  #1

Where in Algonquin? No.180

Inspired by Shawn's (#178)

Where am I?  What body of water am I looking out at?  (Your answer must be specific; that is, it must unambiguously define the location to within a few hundred meters.  An answer such as "Opeongo" just doesn't cut it.)

Not one of my best photos.  In my defense, it was a hazy day.  But what is perhaps interesting to the geeks out there that this is the first photo that I have posted online that was developed from the raw by Raw Therapee and then finished with Gimp.  I am getting ever closer to dumping Windows.

Bob M

8/21/2017 8:12 pm  #2

Re: Where in Algonquin? No.180

Looking at Little Crow Lake from the river that joins Little and Big Crow lakes?

Last edited by Methye (8/21/2017 8:12 pm)

8/22/2017 8:03 am  #3

Southern part of Catfish L?  In the marshy area west of the island at Soth end of lake...

8/22/2017 9:45 am  #4

Looking at the bottom of Catfish Lake? Facing east but headed north?

8/22/2017 11:15 am  #5

No joy yet.

8/22/2017 1:09 pm  #6

Looking at Mikes Lake after the portage from otter slide?

8/22/2017 6:57 pm  #7

Here's a view looking in the other direction

No campsites on this little body of water.

8/23/2017 8:52 am  #8

Vanishing Pond

8/23/2017 5:32 pm  #9

Still no joy.
About a half hour earlier, I had stopped for lunch behind this distinctive little island.

8/23/2017 6:40 pm  #10

Are you looking at the channel between Cauchon and Little Cauchon. Paddling in the direction of little Cauchon?

8/24/2017 6:58 pm  #11

Not the channel beween the Cauchon Lakes.  But I'm pretty sure you have been by here Martin.  You too Peek!

Anyway the location of the first two photos is through that distant passage in the background of my lunch photo.  And here's a closer view of the big background hill in that photo.

8/25/2017 4:07 pm  #12

I'm stumped but I want to be there right now!

8/25/2017 4:09 pm  #13

I accept that the location I asked you to identify is obscure (first two phots).  Probably visited by no more than a handful of paddlers a season, if that.  The reason is that the shallow area separating it from the other body of water (the one in the background of the first photo) doesn't looked easily passable, but perhaps most important is that it is not at all obvious that it opens up into an area of open water, a nice little hidden "lake".

But the locations of the third and subsequent photos are not at all obscure.

Those who know me know that I live on the east side of the park and in recent years most of my exploration of Algonquin Park is via Day trips from home starting somewhere between The Shall Lake access point and Kiosk (but rarely at the extremes).  All of the photos posted here were from such a day trip.

I took this photo shortly after launching.

(@Peek  There used to be a historic cabin on the point above.)

8/25/2017 8:47 pm  #14

Not Gilmour Creek / Brant Lake.

John, I'm pretty sure you've been here but it doesn't seem to be on your current list of favourite places to go.

8/25/2017 8:50 pm  #15

Upper Pine Lake!

8/25/2017 9:38 pm  #16

Urn lake looking towards Grand? That last pic is shortly after the Achray launch (I think 🤔)

8/26/2017 11:03 am  #17

Not Urn Lake.  I've never been into Urn Lake since Rowan Creek is blocked by blowdowns close to its mouth.  But I often stop there for a snack.

While not Urn Lake, you're getting close.

(Not sure what happened to my post, but I actually responded several hours ago.)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.