You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2017 1:06 pm  #1

Cottage Leases in the Park

Does anyone know what the current status is of the leases of owned cottages in the park? Last I heard there was talk about not extending the leases....just curious as I have seen a few pop up for sale in the Park.

8/20/2017 2:16 pm  #2

Re: Cottage Leases in the Park

Leases were extended to 2038 but new restrictions were put in place on sale and transfers.

8/20/2017 6:32 pm  #3

Ah ok.  So what happens after 2038 if you own one of these?  Is the general consensus that at some point they will simply halt the renewals and those with a cottage in the park will be forced to walk away?

8/20/2017 8:47 pm  #4

8/21/2017 2:36 pm  #5

My reading of the situation is that the government has decided that it would be unacceptable to simply let the leases expire.  The idea that the cottage leases should be allowed to expire dates back to the 50's which was a time when a cabin in Algonquin had little market value and undeveloped water front property could be still be acquired on lakes outside of Algonquin for a relatively low cost.  If leases were allowed to expire it would now represent a significant financial loss to the lease holder and the availability of anything similar within Southern Ontario would be quite limited.  The new leases give the government a "Right of First Refusal" when a property is sold so it has the option to purchase and demolish cabins.  The trend of placing further restrictions on lease holders continues and rents can be adjusted upwards during the lease if the market value of the properties increases.

The documents from the ministry don't elaborate on how much the rent is being increased under the extended leases.  Anecdotally, an acquaintance of my wife told us the annual rent on their family lease was rising significantly and he didn't think they would be able to afford to keep the property.  It sounds like Algonquin will go the way of the Muskokas where only wealthy people can afford to own property and people of average means who may have a cabin that has been in their family for generations will be forced to sell.  

It's anyone's guess as to whether or not the ministry will actually use their "Right of First Refusal" to eliminate some leases.

8/21/2017 3:25 pm  #6

leases have multiple problems. Foremost being lack of ownership and constant uncertainty. The price of a lease goes up because you are in Algonquin but down every year closer to the end of the lease and is held back immensely due to the limits on improvements and access. I understand that annual fees have increased dramatically. unlike muskoka the rich can't simply buy a shack and knock it over and build the cottage of their dreams. What you buy in Algonquin is basically what you get so I don't foresee a huge price increase like what has occurred in muskoka.

http://www.chestnutpark.com/Residential/For-Sale/1746152-0/-Lease-1265-Canoe-Lake--Algonquin-Park-Ontario-1709058

That's available now. Cheap for muskoka. Notice the lease payment is not advertised. I suspect it would scare a lot of people away.

8/21/2017 3:56 pm  #7

Wow you could leave me in that place all year long and I'd be happy as can be.  

8/21/2017 4:06 pm  #8

Right. It looks very nice. But $340k for a leased property that is water access only is pretty steep.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.