You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2017 12:41 pm  #1

Rain Lake Campsites

I have a question around the rain lake campsites. First, on Jeff's map there are 13 sites shown in the "main" part of the lake and then 1 site shown towards the western end on the north shore approx 1/2 km from the access point. That would total 14 campsites on Rain (13 in the main lake area and 1 in the river area). When you book your site online it only states 12 available campsites. So why the difference in number?

Secondly the rain lake jump off sites shown on Jeff's map list 5 sites, but the online booking only lists 3 sites.

I would like to also confirm that the campsites shown on Jeff's map as outlined in red (not solid red) triangles are for backpacking on the WUBT

Thanks all

btw... first post

8/18/2017 2:16 pm  #2

Re: Rain Lake Campsites

Welcome to the forum!
There are indeed 14 'physical' campsites on Rain Lake. The reason for the reservation system only showing 12 is because they leave a buffer on most lakes, this allows for people who get weather bound, injured etc a place to spend the night. More often then you would think people camp on lakes in which they aren't supposed to be on, so this way the chances of arriving to your destination to find no available sites is decreased. Same goes for the jump-off sites.
Yes the sites shown on Jeff's map as a 'outlined red triangle' are backpacking sites which aren't to be used by canoeists (I guess if every canoe site was reserved but there was a backpacking one available you could in theory reserve a backpacking site and occupy it via canoe?).
Cheers,
Andrew

8/18/2017 7:27 pm  #3

ATVenture wrote:

...(I guess if every canoe site was reserved but there was a backpacking one available you could in theory reserve a backpacking site and occupy it via canoe?).

Nooooooo!! Don't reopen that can of worms!

Dave

8/19/2017 6:04 pm  #4

Algonquintripper wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

...(I guess if every canoe site was reserved but there was a backpacking one available you could in theory reserve a backpacking site and occupy it via canoe?).

I must have missed something. Lol

8/19/2017 8:39 pm  #5

Thanks for the info. I thought that was the case having read about this on the old forum years ago.

On a side note....  was up on the oxtongue river a few weeks back and caught a 40in pike while trolling. I was fishing for bass and this thing just hammered the lure. The Ragged falls had a lot more water pouring over them as compared to 8 years ago when we visited last.

dgare

8/19/2017 9:27 pm  #6

Perhaps you could confirm for us that you caught that pike below ragged falls.

8/19/2017 9:38 pm  #7

We did not catch a thing while at the bottom of the falls. We fished for about 30 minutes at the base of the falls but nothing hit. The pike was caught somewhere near the tree that has the rope for kids to jump from. I am not giving the exact location. We were trolling while paddling.

8/19/2017 10:19 pm  #8

ATVenture wrote:

Algonquintripper wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

I must have missed something. Lol

There was a post where this was debated. Blood was shed.

Dave

8/19/2017 10:55 pm  #9

dga wrote:

I am not giving the exact location. We were trolling while paddling.

The question is, was the Pike caught upstream or downstream of Ragged Falls?

Last edited by MartinG (8/19/2017 10:56 pm)

8/20/2017 6:47 am  #10

If it was above the falls it's bad news because that means they are moving closer to the park and eating the brook trout along the way.

8/20/2017 8:55 am  #11

It was caught below the falls.... downstream of Ragged Falls.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.