You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2017 7:05 pm  #52

Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Shawn,
I appreciate the offer .But my right foot is so screwed up I'm lucky if I ever walk unaided let alone portage in a pair of hunting boots. Good news for the specks I guess as I won't be bothering them

8/20/2017 7:39 am  #53

Something that takes the sting out of anglers harvesting off the largest BT in a newly "discovered" hotspot lake is the fact that BT are not long-lived fish... over five years old would be old for a BT, and if a few are harvested off one year, it's not a long wait before there are more, if it's a consistent producer year after year. Lake trout are a different story with a large LT possibly needing 15-30 years before it's comsidered old.

The hotspot BT lake might be seen as a high-yield, consistent producer in it's unexploited state as well, while in reality the reason that large trout are being caught there is due to a strong year-class dominating the BT population at some time. It's known that the age structure in BT populations will vary from year to year with some years yielding more large, old BT than others. The reason may be better reproduction and survival of fry and young during one particular year and this spike in the age distribution goes through the population from year to year, until after maybe five years of growth, there are an unusually large number large, old BT to be had. Those BT will either die off eventuallyor be harvested off and if there isn't another strong year class to replace it, the yield afterwards will be poorer for those large, old BT.

Some lakes may well be hot for trophy BT some years and poor during others. During the poor years they may fall out of favor with anglers and attention might shift to another lake that produces better at that particular time. 

Easy access is known to depress BT yield and in APP it's roads, so it's probably more realistic and time better spent to petition against the road network and illegal access than FOI on hotspot lakes... IMO anyway.

8/20/2017 9:44 am  #54

Scouter,
I agree on roads but they are used by natives I assume and controlling them seems to be a dead end . But if this lake is so good it must not be near a road or accessible by snow machine. Is it Stringer L that was good but gill  netted by natives and the only way to keep them out was to classify it a fish sanctuary .That was 10 yrs ago or more. Is that the answer ? No-one gets to fish then? 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.