You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2017 6:04 pm  #1

Anyone been through Head Creek recently?

I'm heading to Pardee for 2 nights this weekend and I'm considering checking out the falls on the 150m portage and 125m portage just east of Head Lake, either en route to Pardee, or on the way back. Still undecided if I would do a 'there-and-back' from Head Lake, or do the whole circle from Cache through Head Creek to Head.

1. Are the falls nice/worth going out of the way for?

2. Are water levels still high enough that the rest of Head Creek is easy to paddle?

I did Skymount last year, and I've seen the falls on Head Lake many times (I'll probably go back anyways, because why not), so I'm wondering if the other falls are worth the detour considering I've seen some of the other nearby points of interest. I've also paddled through Head Creek before, just not past those falls (edit: I mean I've paddle the Madawaska from Cache going east), so if they're not worth it then I'd probably just scratch the whole idea and take the shorter route back through the 1.6km

Also unrelated but how have bugs been the recently? They were brutal when I went end of July but I haven't been in the park since..

Thanks in advance

Last edited by trippythings (8/14/2017 6:06 pm)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/14/2017 8:10 pm  #2

Re: Anyone been through Head Creek recently?

Hey,

Don't have any intel on head creek, but I can speak to the bugs (in the north end, at least).  I did catfish loop on the weekend, and the mosquitos on the portages were pretty bad.   Like June bad.  With the incessant rain, I guess they just keep breeding.  We need a dry spell (or winter?).  No problems on the water and at camp.

8/15/2017 6:03 am  #3

Re: Anyone been through Head Creek recently?

fbeauregard wrote:

Hey,

Don't have any intel on head creek, but I can speak to the bugs (in the north end, at least).  I did catfish loop on the weekend, and the mosquitos on the portages were pretty bad.   Like June bad.  With the incessant rain, I guess they just keep breeding.  We need a dry spell (or winter?).  No problems on the water and at camp.

Thanks, I was hoping they would have cleared up a bit by now, but I guess not. Hopefully it's not too bad though.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.