You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2017 8:15 am  #1

X-bowls/pots etc - how do they hold up over time?

My husband bought me a Sea to Summit X-pot for Christmas and we've used it on a few trips.  It's been great, and handy to pack up, though not super light, it is easier to slide into the pack. We were looking into getting a bigger one, or maybe the kettle, but my experience with collapsable items in my kitchen has not gone well.  After time (like a year maybe?) things like measuring cups, colanders etc ended up cracking and ripping.  One memorable time I went to scoop flour and the whole cup part of a measuring cup fell off in the bag of flour.

I know the X-pots are fairly new, but the cups, plates and bowls have been around for a few years now so I was wondering how many people here use them, and if they hold up well without cracking and splitting.  I can't help but fear being in the middle of a trip, expanding out the pot and having a big rip form in one of the folded spots.

8/12/2017 9:41 am  #2

Re: X-bowls/pots etc - how do they hold up over time?

I've used and X-bowl for close to 10 years and it is still fine. One problem I have heard, is that critters like to eat them. If you rinse your coffee mug in the lake and leave it out overnight to dry, a mouse may decide to nibble on it for breakfast.

8/12/2017 10:10 am  #3

I can't comment on the x-pot, but I've used the mug, bowl and plate since 2011; all of them are still holding up quite well. I had to replace the mug in 2012 because of what Martin mentioned above - critters will definitely nibble on them if left unattended... as I found out when I poured my coffee in the mug then watched it spill out from all directions from the nibbles.

Overall though, very happy with them and when they do need to be replaced, they will be replaced with the exact same product.

Generally I find anything made by Sea to Summit is generally better than a lot of the competitors versions.. particularly the Kitchen Sink series and the roll-top map cases.

8/12/2017 12:24 pm  #4

Have had an x-kettle for a number of years now. Its like new.
Sea to Summit have great products like Peek mentions above.

8/14/2017 10:30 am  #5

I put the lid to my x kettle in the dishwasher by mistake and it warped. Sea to Summit replaced it free of charge even though it was my fault.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.