You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2017 4:53 pm  #1

4 Days - 3 Nights; Trip Recommendations

Hey all,

I just got back from my annual backpacking trip with two of my oldest friends.
We've been doing a yearly trip for 10 years now and have exhausted the Algonquin Park Backpacking trails.
We've hiked the Catskills in NY, La Cloche in Killarney and did Frontenac PP this year.
We decided that next year we would instead plan a canoe trip as there are many parts of APP that we haven't explored yet and the other backpacking destinations we are interested in are too much of a drive for us right now.

We typically go on a long weekend (August or September) and take 4 days (last day is typically short (we like to be on the road before noon), so that we can get back to our families at a reasonable hour).

We are experienced backcountry campers and relish a challenge and we like to push ourselves with distance and pace.  With that being said, our paddling skills aren't the GREATEST; I have the best paddling skills (I'm the first to admit that my strokes need some honing), they haven't paddled in a number of years.

We usually like to travel an average of about 6-7 hours a day.  We normally get up at the crack of dawn and get our day started early.

I started to look at a few options this week during my lunch hours and started piecing together the times allotted on JeffsMap to complete a days travel, but thought perhaps I would check with my fellow board members who've already put in many km's under their boots and hulls to see what they would recommend.

I don't think we would want to do any of the NORTHERN or EASTERN most access points, but would prefer to stick to the West/Hwy 60 access points as they are a closer drive.  Going to Opeongo and catching a water taxi is NOT out of the question, nor is accessing out of Rock Lake, etc...

I look forward to seeing what is recommended.

Cheers!

12/01/2017 2:25 pm  #2

Re: 4 Days - 3 Nights; Trip Recommendations

I thought I might bump this as we are getting ready to plan our trip.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by breed85 (12/01/2017 2:25 pm)

12/01/2017 6:04 pm  #3

If you're up for a challenge, one of my favourite loops has small lakes (so you're not going to battle big water) and is very remote. Long portages, and although low maintenance they are not too bad. Also it guarantees you won't see any of those pesty kayak paddlers hahahah. 

- Access 14b (Jeff's Map) - see my triplog: http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/MarkoMrkobrada/MarkoMrkobrada.htm

- Night 1: McGarvey or North Grace
- Night 2: Bonnechere L
- Night 3: Dividing Lake

Cheers
M

12/01/2017 7:19 pm  #4

I'm going to ignore your comment about NOT wanting to go to a Northern Access point and suggest a trip out of Brent.

I'm a bit of a broken record with this one because I have been recommending it for many years as the best short route in the Park.
Cedar - Catfish - Burntroot - Nip - Cedar. It gives everything the park has to offer!

History (Town of Brent/Alligators/Root Cellar/Logging remains/Cave),
Gorgeous Big Lakes surrounded by pine covered hills (Burntroot/Cedar/Catfish), 
Remote headwaters lakes (Whisky Jack and Robinson), 
Awesome and diverse river travel (Downstream on the Nip, Upstream travel on the Pet between Catfish and Perley is nice too.)
Fishing (Cedar/Burntroot/Robinson/Whiskyjack/Nip), 
Ideal wildlife habitat (Nip/Pet/Grassy Bay on Cedar)

Oooh I want to do it again!! http://www.algonquinadventures.com/triplogs/MartinGarster/Cedar/index.htm 

12/01/2017 7:38 pm  #5

One route I have always liked is the Lake Louisa Loop. 
Enter at Smoke and travel via Ragged, Big Porcupine, Little Coon, McGarvey, North Grace and into Lake Louisa - the favourite lake of many trippers.
Head north for the return via Rod & Gun Lake, etc, etc, and back into Big Porcupine.

Dont forget to bring some paddling gloves. Nothing can ruin a trip faster than a blister. But as backpackers, you know that!

Dave

12/01/2017 7:51 pm  #6

Thanks guys!

Earlier this afternoon I was looking at Rock-Galeairy-Welcome-Louisa-Rock...

12/02/2017 11:46 am  #7

both your and Algonquin tripper's routes are good for 1st timers, but one word of caution-  Smoke, Rock, and Penn lakes (and any other bigger lakes with a N-S orientation) can all get choppy with mid-day winds so try to plan on crossing these lakes either earlier or later in the day.
Another route you can do is the Baron river starting at Grand lake, down through the cascades (lots of short portages) and into the canyon, then back up and through Ooze and Opalescent to Grand. there are sites on Grand Directly across from the put-in, so you'd only be 1/2hr or so from the car on the last day.

12/02/2017 7:01 pm  #8

MartinG wrote:

I'm going to ignore your comment about NOT wanting to go to a Northern Access point and suggest a trip out of Brent. ~~
History (Town of Brent/Alligators/Root Cellar/Logging remains/Cave) ~~",
Gorgeous Big Lakes surrounded by pine covered hills (Burntroot/Cedar/Catfish), 

Martin, I don't recall any Alligators/Root Cellar or a Cave @ Brent. Are these items @ Brent or surrounding areas?
Thanks for the feedback. I am in complete agreement with you on the area. My brother and I plan on launching from Brent again next year we loved it so much up there. It would be great to check out any Alligators, Root Cellar or Caves but I'm at a loss on where they may be. ( If you don't want to divulge these areas I completely understand that as well but it's worth an ask )

12/02/2017 8:02 pm  #9

Hey Andy, bad grammar. That was just a list of historic items along the route. Brent itself does have a few artifacts kicking around. Next time you are there ask Jake where the old train car is.

12/02/2017 9:22 pm  #10

Thanks Martin!

12/04/2017 9:58 am  #11

Dickson / Lavielle lakes ... tons of side trip options along there too ... and bonus .. you get to put the Dickson / Bonfield portage on your list of accomplishments.

We did the loop coming in from Big Crow/ crow river but with only 4 days that's dicey ... one wind bound day and you are cooked. Plus the best part of that trip was Lavelle and Dickson without a doubt ... the crow river is ok but fish are small and you spend a lot of time just meandering ... if I was to do it again I'd take the taxi up opeongo, do the dockson bonfield portage and split my time between the lakes and the side trips ... the long portage keeps the traffic down too ... in 4 days in early june we saw 2 other groups ...

Cant recall but I think we stayed on one of the sites in the hardys bay area and it was one of the best I've ever seen ... great fishing in both lakes ...   caught my biggest brookie ever in lavielle ... and saw my biggest moose there too ... I want to go back !!!

Water taxi is a must in my opinion ... maximize your time in back country .. .

DW

12/04/2017 1:39 pm  #12

Tons of options...and it's nice you guys are backpackers because it makes those canoe routes that seem more like hiking routes a viable option.

1. Crotch access 17 NE to McKaskill then NW to Dickson...two options for return from here through Annie Bay or through Round Island lake.  Portage heavy trip.
2. Opeongo Taxi routes - either Lavielle like has been mentioned (an Algonquin classic) or a variety of routes to include Big Crow, Hogan, la Muir, Red Pine Bay, Big Trout, Otterslide and/or Happy Isle based on how far you want to travel daily.  Taxi makes life easy at the beginning and end.
3. Smoke lake south - can include any number of the smaller lake loops from Big Porcupine back through Cache or be aggressive and include a paddle through Louisa.

I wouldn't worry a ton about paddling experience...more paddling takes care of that and having some paddling experience keeps you from learning the toughest lessons deep in the backcountry. 

The season you are traveling in also is a busy one so the routes that get more than a few portages between you and an access point will feel very remote.

1/03/2018 9:07 pm  #13

Wanted to know your opinions on the following routes.
Are we being too ambitious?

Option 1:
Day 1: Magnetawan to Misty Lake.
Day 2: Misty to Rosebary up the Tim.
Day 3: Rosebary to David
Day 4: David to Magnetawan

Option 2:
Day 1: Magnetawan to Little Misty
Day 2: Little Misty to Rosebary up through Queer and part of the Tim.
Day 3: Rosebary to David
Day 4: David to Magnetawan

Option 3:
Day 1: Opeongo Water taxi to Happy Isle Portage, Happy Isle to Otterslide.
Day 2: Otterslide to Big Trout to Lake La Muir
Day 3: Lake la Muir to Hogan to Big Crow
Day 4: Big Crow to Proulx portage on Opeongo and water taxi back.

Option 4:
Day 1: Opeongo Water taxi to Happy Isle Portage, Happy Isle to Otterslide.
Day 2: Otterslide to Big Trout to Lake La Muir
Day 3: Lake la Muir to Hogan to Proulx
Day 4: Proulx portage on Opeongo and water taxi back.

Having had further discussions with the guys recently we have picked our weekend (July 5, 6,7 & 8).
There is preference for wildlife viewing (I had good luck seeing moose at Rosebary where the Tim leads INTO Rosebary last year; as well as witnessing a deer swim from the south campsite across the channel to the south shore of the lake). There's also a preference for as little traffic (other campers) as possible (basically avoiding HWY 60 corridor).

1/04/2018 2:21 pm  #14

option 3 and 4 will have a little bit of traffic in july ... and some of those lakes might allow boats and motors (you would have to check) ... this is a fair amount of water to cover in 4 days as well considering you might have a wind bound day ... but I'm pretty much guilty of trying to do too much on most trips and it seems to work out fine ... you can always make adjustments for weather ...  

I have never been to the misty/Tim side but have heard great things about it  ... might be a few less travellers ... likely easier fishing the Tim than larger lakes like Big Crow ... 

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those trip options ...    

1/04/2018 3:17 pm  #15

Great loops with some challenges. Good for wildlife, but not very good for solitude. Couple notes:
Options 1 and 2 - you will be paddling upstream the Tim - expect some current on narrow and twisty river. Book really early, especially on David and Rosebary.
Options 3 and 4 - Otterslide to LaMuir - consider lunch, wind, loading-unloading boats and add this time to Jeffs calculations. Will be 9+ hours double-carrying portages in my book.

1/04/2018 6:24 pm  #16

EddyTurn wrote:

...consider lunch, wind, loading-unloading boats and add this time to Jeffs calculations. Will be 9+ hours double-carrying portages in my book.

Yeah, Jeff's calculations are pretty solid for paddling time but I've always suspected he used Sherpas for the portages.

Dave

1/05/2018 8:06 am  #17

Thanks all.

I haven't paddled the lower section of the Tim past Rosebary, only from Rosebary to Tim lake (both ways). Is there more current on the Tim past Rosebary? The current from Rosebary to Tim was hardly noticeable when I was there this past July.

We'll be single carrying portages (unless something should happen to us health-wise *knock on wood*).

My concern with options 3 & 4 were wind bound days... Not as much a factor on options 1 & 2...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.