You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2017 2:24 pm  #1

Opeongo North Arm Fishing- EDIT Going to Sunday Lake Instead

Hi all,

EDIT- Thanks Bo and Frozentripper! Appreciate the advice for Opeongo! I'm sure I will return to the North Arm sometime soon, but I am going to Sunday Lake instead this weekend to try my hand at catching some frankenfish Splake. I am a constant worrier and I'm glad I no longer have to worry about Opeongo being way too windy to paddle on. If anyone has any experience on Sunday Lake I'd appreciate some pointers! A little close to Hwy 60 for my liking but should be a good relaxing trip for the long weekend. 

Cheers,

Lenny

Last edited by Lenny (8/03/2017 2:02 pm)

8/02/2017 5:49 pm  #2

Re: Opeongo North Arm Fishing- EDIT Going to Sunday Lake Instead

Lenny,

I have caught lakers in North arm of Opeongo many times.  I have always used lead core line at this time of year.  You could use bottom bouncers, but I do not like using them.  My favourite Opeongo lures are HUGE silver/gold William's Wablers, any white coloured spoon, or LARGE Moose Looks.  Remember, even though it is summer, lake trout will come to shallower waters to feed for a short time.  Early morning and late evening is the best for this.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

8/03/2017 7:03 am  #3

Len,

Park staff say that smallmouth are an underutilized resource in Opeongo, so it might be a productive way to spend time fishing for them. On a lake as large as Opeongo, trolling and covering distance could be the best way to find where they are... my bet is you'll catch some off of rocky points. Trolling a rapala, or a spinnerbait for fewer snags has worked.

Hailstorm creek gets a lot recs on internet sites and from outfitters, and if a more secluded place is what you're looking for, the nature reserve in the east arm at Slot lake has some old growth red pine stands and some small weedy lakes that may or may not be accessible with higher water. Also some interesting logging roads, both old and new, that I haven't checked out yet, they're on the list..... good luck.

8/04/2017 5:54 am  #4

The only thing I can say re Sunday Lake is the island site is a good one; however, many better sites on Sproule Lake.  I have only fished Sunday/Sproule once and never got a bite one time in May over 3 days.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

8/04/2017 8:10 am  #5

Thanks Bo!!! Sproule is our "Plan B" i the fishing isn't good on Sunday Lake. 

8/04/2017 8:41 am  #6

In my humble opinion, save Splake fishing for after the real trout close (Sept 30).

8/04/2017 8:49 am  #7

Camped there 3 or 4 years ago.  
The Island site was pretty stripped of wood, we camped on the far east site and had a great western look over the water.  Lots of space for tents, firepit was against a large rock too   

8/04/2017 9:02 pm  #8

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Ryan: I agree 100%, however we had very few options as most lakes are booked solid. Splake aren't my favourite but should be a fun challenge! I catch them ice fishing and they are very tasty. Also, it definitely beats bass fishing imo! Will report back! Would have like to go to lakes near the sand lake gate access but hwy 60 works much better as I'm meeting up with friends from Toronto.

Cheers,

Lenny

8/10/2017 3:40 pm  #9

Thanks to all for the help. Fishing was very slow but we didn't do too much of it. Highlight of the lake was 5 boisterous loons, and one particularly crazy one that kept on doing the breaststroke across the lake. There was also a dead moose in the lake that attracted a significant crowd of turkey vultures. Heard some barred owls at night and had one huge snapping turtle that was likely tamed by frequent campers. Sad to see but practically inevitable on busy lakes. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.