You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2017 2:03 pm  #1

Magnetewan Advice

A buddy and I are planning a trip into Algonquin for August 24 - 27th. We were thinking of entering at Magnetewan (Access #3) but neither of us have been to this part of the park before so your feedback would be greatly appreciated. My initial idea was to spend the first night on Timberwolf, the second night on Big Trout, and the third night on Shah Lake. The route can be seen in the map below.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this possible trip. Is it too ambitious? Are we missing areas that you would recommend, or are there other lakes we should look into camping on? I should mention that I am in no way attached to this trip so even extreme modifications are welcome. Also, that time of year would it even be worthwhile to bring a fishing rod along, or should we save ourselves the extra burden on the portages and leave the rods at home?

Last edited by RCShevalier (7/12/2017 2:37 pm)

7/12/2017 3:30 pm  #2

Re: Magnetewan Advice

Looks fine to me, but you may want to reverse the direction. Just a few days ago I paddled the Tim from Rosebary to Shah, and the same stretch of the Petawawa on your map, and while it doesn't matter which direction you paddle that part of the Pet in, the Tim had a bit more current to it and I was happy to be heading downriver. That may change by the end of August of course, but lower water levels may give you a few beaver dams to work over heading upstream (on my trip, beaver dams were a complete non-issue and would have been so in either direction). 

7/12/2017 4:57 pm  #3

You're looking at 5.5 - 7.5 hrs of travel each day, assuming all goes as planned. It's definitely doable, but if you have any set backs (bad weather, strong headwinds, low water levels, long lunch breaks, etc.), you could have some really long days.

The main issue is that you have no option to 'catch up on time', no short days that can be extended or stopover days that can forgotten in case you need to make up for lost time.

If you guys are experienced trippers I'd say go for it, but if you're not then I'd probably choose a route that's a bit easier/safer on time.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/12/2017 5:50 pm  #4

Agree with above...  Only other pieces I'd add are:

-The Tim R can have lots of beaver dams within the highlighted section
-I seem to remember water levels being quite low Getting onto Misty L from Little Misty L...  (around same time of year)...  It added time as we were dragging our boats...  But given rain we've seen this year don't imagine that will be a problem 😄

Have a great trip 😄

7/13/2017 3:36 pm  #5

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We're hoping to bring along a couple of other guys who have never camped in the back country before, so I've made a slight change to the loop.

With this new route our first and last day would stay the same, but the middle two days would be shorter. I have the second night stay on White Trout instead of Grassy Bay in hopes of finding a site with better swimming. Does anyone have campsite recommendations for Timberwolf and Shah?

If the two new guys don't end up coming along I think we might still try for the first route, but with the modification of reversing the direction as suggested by Bob.

7/13/2017 8:38 pm  #6

If you want to relax things even a little more, one nice trip I've done is spend the first AND second nights on Misty, do the loop through Grassy Bay as a long but doable day trip without your gear on day 2 returning to your already set-up campsite, and then head back as per your final day plan, perhaps spending a night on Queer or Little Trout along the way. You can get all the way back from Misty via Shah/Tim RIver/Ralph Bice in one day (I've done it) but it's a push.

Or reverse the direction as suggested above, in which case it's Misty for nights 2 and 3. I can see the case for going clockwise -- I'm not sure if there will be current on the Tim in late August, but the wind from the west can be tough to counter on Ralph Bice.

Good route for wildlife. As for your fishing question, be aware that there are no warmer-water game fish like bass or pike on this route, it's trout country, and in August the trout will be deep in the lakes. You can go after them if you have a deep-water strategy, but you probably won't catch them by casually flipping grubs or spinners around. The possible exception would be the odd brookie hole along the rivers you're travelling, try at the bottom of waterfalls etc. Shah Lake doesn't have any trout, I think just perch.

7/14/2017 7:22 am  #7

Re: campsite recommendations: 

There's really one one campsite of note on Shah, which is the eastern point site. It's nice... not stunning, but nice. The swimming isn't great unfortunately - it stays shallow out quite a ways all around (and it's not a sandy bottom). There's a rock to the North of the campsite that has a trail running to it, however, and to my eye that looked like a good jump-off spot for swimming. I meant to try it out but didn't as I kept trying to find decent swimming off the site itself. 

Timberwolf: Peek recommended the western island site to me, which isn't a site I've actually seen myself yet. I've stayed on the Northeast point site and quite liked it. It wasn't the time of year for swimming, so I don't remember if it was a decent site for that. 

7/16/2017 8:02 pm  #8

Uppa wrote:

There's really one one campsite of note on Shah, which is the eastern point site. It's nice... not stunning, but nice.

We were at Shah last August (2016), arriving too late to obtain the campsite we were hoping for, and the one I believe Uppa speaks of.  Instead we ended up at the campsite just south of that eastern peninsula site, just to the right of the portage originating at Pandion Pond (via Misty). 

At first I was little bitter looking across at the "gentleman" sitting in his camp chair in the water, basking in the late afternoon sun on what looked like a far superior site from a distance.  However, that more southern site grew on me for the short time we were on it.  The fire pit and benches are about as near the water as one could get without being in it.  There is a bit of a step down the water, but it was sandy bottom.  There is a bit of a hike up a hill to the only viable tent pad we found. 

I guess I'm trying to say all is not lost if the best on that lake is taken.

Your route has some similarities to the one we took last year that landed us on Shah.  The length of travel seems ambitious to me, but I seem to move a lot slower than a number of people in this forum.  Some of my favourites of that trip that overlap with your own were one of the portages (yes a portage!) from McIntosh into McIntosh marsh (though we did it the other way), and the paddle through McIntosh Marsh and Grassy Bay. 

Take care,
Shaggy.

8/08/2017 4:18 pm  #9

DanPM wrote:

If you want to relax things even a little more, one nice trip I've done is spend the first AND second nights on Misty, do the loop through Grassy Bay as a long but doable day trip without your gear on day 2 returning to your already set-up campsite...

The trip is booked! I took the above advice and decided on the following plan.

Day 1: Paddle to Shah
Day 2: Paddle to Misty (easy day!)
Day 3: Attempt the Grassy Bay loop, returning to our campsite on Misty
Day 4: Paddle to the access point and drive home

I'm pretty excited to explore a new section of the Park! August 24th can't come soon enough.

8/08/2017 9:50 pm  #10

Glad to see you took out that section of the Tim. We have done Little Trout to Big Trout via the Tim and it was 7am to 7pm straight. Lots of switchbacks and dams. 

8/09/2017 9:10 am  #11

jvermast wrote:

Glad to see you took out that section of the Tim. We have done Little Trout to Big Trout via the Tim and it was 7am to 7pm straight. Lots of switchbacks and dams. 

Yoiks!! That's a huge day!!

8/09/2017 2:55 pm  #12

Also that rangers site on Timberwolf is primo. Right on a point on the island with some great hammock trees at the tip.

8/29/2017 4:44 pm  #13

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We had an awesome trip! For those interested you can read the report here: http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1376

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.