You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2017 12:03 pm  #1

North Tea-Biggar-Three Mile-Manitou

Myself and 3 friends are heading on a Trip in early sept. I have never this area of the park and was looking for any helpful thoughts on potential campsites. We will be staying on Biggar, Three Mile and Manitou. Thanks.

8/02/2017 12:06 pm  #2

Re: North Tea-Biggar-Three Mile-Manitou

I also will be looking to do some fishing. I know most people don't like to give away a honey hole. But would love to get Brookie and any helpful "locations" would be extremely appreciated

8/02/2017 1:41 pm  #3

I'm leaving for an 8 day trip to those lakes this coming Tuesday. No fishing on our side, but I'll try to post something regarding the trip towards the last week of August.

8/02/2017 1:51 pm  #4

tentsterforever wrote:

I'm leaving for an 8 day trip to those lakes this coming Tuesday. No fishing on our side, but I'll try to post something regarding the trip towards the last week of August.

That would be very helpful and appreciated. Look forward to hearing about your trip!

8/02/2017 1:59 pm  #5

I just got back from Kiosk-Manitou-Three Mile-Maple.. so I did just one portage that you'll be doing.. the almost 3km from Three Mile to Manitou. The only thing I can tell you is you'll be doing it in the right direction! This portage starts with a nice climb up a mountain on the Manitou side. I was single carrying and only made it about half way up the hill before I had to drop the canoe, and when I looked back I could still see Manitou which was a bit discouraging.. but after that it's very straight forward and fairly easy. It took me slightly over an hour to complete.  

Last edited by ATVenture (8/02/2017 2:00 pm)

8/02/2017 2:24 pm  #6

ATVenture wrote:

I just got back from Kiosk-Manitou-Three Mile-Maple.. so I did just one portage that you'll be doing.. the almost 3km from Three Mile to Manitou. The only thing I can tell you is you'll be doing it in the right direction! This portage starts with a nice climb up a mountain on the Manitou side. I was single carrying and only made it about half way up the hill before I had to drop the canoe, and when I looked back I could still see Manitou which was a bit discouraging.. but after that it's very straight forward and fairly easy. It took me slightly over an hour to complete.  

You aren't the first to warn me about that portage. Glad we are going the right way! Glad you survived

8/02/2017 5:16 pm  #7

I've posted this several times so sorry if you've already seen it, but here's my trip report for a similar route (I stayed on Manitou and Three Mile).

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=44357&start=0

One thing to consider about that portage from Three Mile to Manitou; even if you go in the downhill direction, that one section is pretty steep, and with all this rainfall it could be really muddy and/or slippery. Be careful either way.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/02/2017 9:46 pm  #8

I just did this exact loop this past weekend. It was great.

Try and get an early start on North Tea as the winds can whip up later in the morning and afternoon. The series of 4 portages between Biggar and Three Mile gets pretty annoying towards the end with loading and unloading repeatedly. On North Tea we stayed one night on the West Arm and one night on the East. On the West Arm, the campsites just North West of the narrows have beautiful beaches where you can walk out 50 feet into the lake. On the East Arm, the island sites, specifically the more SE ones are beautiful, but lacking firewood. As for Three Mile, we stayed on the south site of the island. Beautiful site with multiple vistas, but it has some fire damage. On Manitou we stayed at the closest site to the portage with the waterfalls. The site wasn't great, but the falls are absolutely worth the extra distance. 

Hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any specific questions. 

8/03/2017 6:49 am  #9

Thank you basil, I am hoping to get the same island site you had on Three Mile. I am a fan of island sites and have heard good things about that site. Am i correct in my thinking that the sites on the east end of Biggar are the more desirable sites?

8/03/2017 2:49 pm  #10

Be warned, that site on Three Island does have significant fire damage, and one hell of a widow maker looming in the middle of the site. Still though, it was too nice a spot to pass up. Another great site on Three Mile is the one just north of the island on the little point.

Truthfully we didn't check out too many sites on Biggar as we were just passing through. But we did get a good look at the second site on the north-east point and it looked nice. The view looking south on Biggar is beautiful as well, so I'd say you'd be right in your thinking to go East.

8/08/2017 12:45 pm  #11

Thanks for your insight Basil and I will watch for the widow maker. Hopefully a wind storm can help out before we get there.

8/08/2017 2:13 pm  #12

I first did this route back in the 70's. Fishing in  Biggar and Three Mile used to be fantastic, really up till about 2000, since then it has declined steadily, but still fair to decent. Both lakes have brookies and lakers, The best site on Biggar is the one on the south west point, before heading towards Loughrin Creek. The best site on Three mile (depending on taste) is the central north west point, just before heading into the northern lobe of the lake. There is also a really nice island site in the far west lobe. There are many other really nice sites on both lakes however. Depending on your group and time of day (wind issues) I would say it is about 4-4.5 fairly easy hours into Biggar. Manitou has several great sites, the islands in the north section are nice, as are some along the western shore, due west from those islands...that does take you away from the portage back to North Tea however. North Tea and Manitou are very windy lakes, much more so than Biggar and Three Mile, even though they are all biggish lakes. Manitou has great smallie fishing, average lakers and very few brookies (although I have caught a couple beauties there in recent years in spring).

Moonman.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.