You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2015 4:14 pm  #1

Portable Battery Charger

I just got a new Petzl RXP and love it, however from all I've read, the battery life is not the best.  So I just ordered this item from Amazon:  http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BQ5KHJW?keywords=anker%20e5&qid=1442869912&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Does anyone have any experience with this, or other power banks?  I'm wondering how they function in cold weather (i.e. winter camping).  I should be able to get 5 full re-charges on my headlamp (or iPhone...if I needed) with it.  Pretty decent price too!

Last edited by Steve E (9/21/2015 7:15 pm)

9/21/2015 4:40 pm  #2

Re: Portable Battery Charger

This is what I carry Steve and love it. http://goalzero.ca/Portable-Solar-Power/Complete-Power-Kits/Guide-10-Plus-Adventure-Kit-V2  I have had no issues with charging, regardless of season, as long as I have sun. When I charge my Iphone or GoPro I hook the battery pack/charger up to the panels and the device to that, if clouds interrupt the charge continues from the stored power. They also have a solar powered generator I might be buying for emergencies. 

9/21/2015 4:43 pm  #3

I looked into the Solar chargers too, but am concerned as I don't have the best of luck with weather.  It's not unusual to be up for 4 days and have no sun.  Does that mean you can't charge for those 4 days?

9/21/2015 4:50 pm  #4

No the battery pack stores the charge and can be used to charge the device directly. I carry extra rechargeables that are all powered up, if I have a few days with no sun they hold up at least that long. I've also had it caught out in the rain, I keep the battery pack hidden under it out of the sun, which also stays out of the rain and it hasn't been an issue as well.

9/21/2015 6:50 pm  #5

Same.  I like the flexibility of the AA and AAA batteries in addition to the USB charger.

9/21/2015 7:02 pm  #6

On a side note, for portable batter charging, I use scotch ;)

9/22/2015 9:22 am  #7

I use a Limefuel Blast http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZASFBFQ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00ZASFBFQ&linkCode=as2&tag=limefuel-20&linkId=D5WG5QP7CQMVK5UO and have had great results.  Keep it charged and with me traveling and @ home for power outages.  What ever device you get try to get the max # of mAh you can afford, lasts longer, charges more devices....  This blast will charge an Ipad 2 fully one time and still has some left over, it will charge my GoPro 3 multiple times (I haven't truly kept count).

One point of advise:  If you get a backup like this (and travel) be sure it has all the spec's printed on the device somewhere, airport security has less trouble with them if the data is on the device.  When researching the limefuel, that was some advise I got from a report where they lost their device for not having that info.

Last edited by Doug.Singlemann (9/22/2015 9:23 am)

9/23/2015 12:28 am  #8

215 Lumens, WOW no wonder it goes through batteries. That is not a headlamp, that is a mall searchlight and I want one
When I picked up a G.P.S. and found out is chewed up 2 AA's a day I looked around and ended up also going with a Goalzero guide 10 and have nothing bad to say about it. At about a pound total weight with 4 batteries it is still lighter than 14 or better normal AA'S. Add a few AAA'S and my headlamp is always ready to go as well.
Normally lay it out teathered in the canoe when on the water and even on cloudy days leaving it sitting out for the day will chatge the AA batteries.
Also found out that in good sun it will charge and IPhone and Bev's IPad mini when plugged directly into the solar panel.
Have not needed to use it in the Winter so I can not comment but ask me again in January and I should have an amswer.

9/23/2015 8:45 am  #9

Ya the spotlight on this headlamp is crazy good   But that comes at the cost of decreased battery life of course.....

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.