You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/28/2017 11:03 am  #1

Stove options

Apologies if this has been discussed already ...

I have a good MSR stove ... no real complaints about its performance, etc.  However the canisters are heavy for packing in ... on a longer trip we will take 2 large ones.

So I'm looking at the alcohol ones ... they use pellets, etc.  and the stove itself is small so overall its a small footprint in the backpack.  But I am concerned about their performance in wind .. although the MSR can also be affects by wind.  Or how well they work with frying pan, etc.  I have taken to cooking over the campfire more now so I suppose some of that is less of a concern.

In any case they seem like a great option but I'd like to hear from people that have used them ...

Thanks
Paul

7/28/2017 12:57 pm  #2

Re: Stove options

Love my Trangia Alcohol stove. Use it primarily with a Solo Stove system and ethanol fuel. I find ethanol safer (as opposed to wood alcohol) but notice it burns really hot so I mix it with a bit of water.  You'll need a wind screen for sure and I recommend something sturdy like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/SOLEADER-Windscreen-Lightweight-Compact-Folding/dp/B071L8LTJZ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1501264252&sr=8-14&keywords=windscreen

Harder to simmer with this type of stove than an MSR but boils water well and is great for frying. Any wind will greatly decrease performance. Never tried pellets. I just lug in the gas or use the Solo as a twig stove.
Enjoy.

7/28/2017 1:07 pm  #3

Wind is fairly easy to mitigate with a screen.

Not sure what you mean by "they use pellets". Alcohol stoves use liquid fuel. The big problem with them is the lack of control. You pour what you think you need and light it and once it's gone, it's gone. You can't safely add fuel along the way. You can snuff out the fire to save fuel if you put in too much but that can be unsafe too and you need to bring a suitable tool to do so. Also, while you can get or make simmer rings to control the flame a bit, you generally don't have the option to change the flame size while you're cooking unless you like touching hot metal.

They're useful and light but I wouldn't use it for anything other than boiling water, where it generally takes the same amount of time so you can eyeball the fuel right and you don't need to control the flame size. It's not a frying pan kind of fuel source.

If you want lighter with control, a twig stove might be a better option. The downside there is they're tougher in the rain and you can't use them during a fire ban.

7/28/2017 1:13 pm  #4

RCSpartan wrote:

Love my Trangia Alcohol stove. Use it primarily with a Solo Stove system and ethanol fuel. 

You bring a Solo Stove plus a Trangia, ethanol and a wind screen? Would that really be lighter than just using a canister stove?

7/28/2017 1:54 pm  #5

+1 on the Trangia. 

We have both the small and big one, both with the billy pots. Also have one of the Primus lpg canister burners for them.

We love it. For us the only two downsides are totally manageable. The alcohol burner in dead of winter sometimes lake the ooomph, and the pots can be small for campfire cooking or groups. But with the lpg stove burner we use it through the winter (must warm canister if its super cold though) and the billy, or big pots, are great for fire cooking which we do a ton of.

Like all stoves Trangias have pro and cons, but all the people I know that own them love them.

7/31/2017 1:57 pm  #6

Hi Spicol ...

The pellets for stoves come in various sizes and shapes  ... here is an example of the pellets ...

[url=https://www.rei.com/product/653344/esbit-solid-fuel-tablets?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-145262-_-180150-_-NA&avad=180150_bf2255bdFor ]https://www.rei.com/product/653344/esbit-solid-fuel-tablets?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-145262-_-180150-_-NA&avad=180150_bf2255bd[/url]

In terms of weight its attractive .. .no need to bring alcohol or canisters ...

Has anyone had any experience with a stove that burns tablets ?

Thanks

8/01/2017 7:02 am  #7

They are hexamine tablets, not alcohol, and have a few major drawbacks; unlike conventional stoves, they have no positive shutoff, so can't be used during a fire ban. they have no flame control ,so can't simmer at all. the bottom can get very hot, so must be used on non-flammable surfaces, And worst of all they STINK! I don't mean they smell a little, I mean they throat-closing, eye-watering, run for the hills STINK! Imagine leaving rotting fish out in the sun for a week, then trying to burn it- that's the smell

8/01/2017 8:02 am  #8

Mmm. Sounds lovely. I'm sure that helps to stimulate the appetite.

8/01/2017 10:26 am  #9

another  stove option,, i use a " vital  stove"
           small sticks for fuel, and has a battery pack that runs a small fan inside the stove for burn rate control.
  light weight. compact,  some reviews on line. i bought my unit from home hardware.
 i hope that helps

Last edited by swedish pimple (8/01/2017 10:32 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.