You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2017 7:32 pm  #1

Blueberry season

It's been years since I camped in the summer, but this year we'll be heading to north tea/ manitou/ biggar in the second week of August. Can anyone tell me if there's still blueberries to be had by then in that area?

7/26/2017 8:59 pm  #2

Re: Blueberry season

If it's a good year for blueberries, there should still be some during the first half of August... I know I've picked blueberries in the past at that time. The cool weather this year might have delayed the season so that the picking will be later and the extra rainfall that's been coming down is known to be good for blueberry production. And some spots are later than others.

There may have been a hard spring frost this year which could have killed off the blooms which could mean no berries.... I haven't been out to any blueberry spots yet but if you see blueberries growing somewhere, it's good sign  to search further and higher ground is usually better protected from frosts during spring, so a rocky blueberry barrens area up on a hill might be worth a look.

7/28/2017 7:17 am  #3

Re: Blueberry season

I picked handfuls of them at the southern site on Pardee Lake last week... delicious!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.