You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2017 6:36 pm  #52

Re: Bug Report

We were planning on going in this coming weekend the 15th but honestly not interested if the bugs are still unbearable. Would south eastern parks like Frontenac area be better for bugs do you guys think at this time of year?

7/10/2017 4:01 pm  #53

After 2 nights on Linda Lake last week, I would say the ankle biting stable flies were the worst part. The mosquitoes were hungry on the portages, and the blackflies were still around as well, but bearable.

7/10/2017 5:28 pm  #54

Was out for a couple nights recently (Rosebary, Shah). Blackflies are mostly done, mosquitoes are out in healthy numbers but I definitely didn't find the conditions terrible. I was wearing my bug jacket much of the time while travelling, but only rarely with the head netting on. 

The days were windy and the campsites were bug free. 

7/19/2017 8:15 am  #55

Are they really still that bad!?!? Heading just north of Opeongo in a week. WHat can I expect!?

7/19/2017 9:50 am  #56

Naw.....enjoy the "ocean" in Algonquin Park.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

7/19/2017 10:26 am  #57

I was at Rosebary on Saturday (July 15th) for the night, travelling from the Tim Access point.
Mosquitoes were out on the portage (I didn't consider them that bad) and some at site.
The odd blackfly here and there, but not bad at all.

All in all I thought the bug situation was good.

7/19/2017 12:56 pm  #58

Sounds good to me!!
Thank you

7/19/2017 2:25 pm  #59

Been three days so far and more bites than I've ever had. When the winds are up all is good but when it goes away they are still vicious. Sorry to be bearerof bad news but just go prepared and all will be good.

7/20/2017 8:01 am  #60

I guess it depends on what area of AP you are tripping on.  I just came back a few days ago from Proulx Lake and not a bug in sight for over 4 days!  I know from friends in Whitney (when I lived in South River) that bugs were horrible there, but hardly any on the west side of the Park.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

7/20/2017 10:40 am  #61

boknows wrote:

I guess it depends on what area of AP you are tripping on.  I just came back a few days ago from Proulx Lake and not a bug in sight for over 4 days!  I know from friends in Whitney (when I lived in South River) that bugs were horrible there, but hardly any on the west side of the Park.

The west side is at a higher elevation, isn't it? I suspect that would make a difference. Maybe they are on their way out!

Dave

7/20/2017 11:11 am  #62

We were in Rain lake access last week end and saw about a dozen black fly.  Mosquitos were out, but not that bad.

7/20/2017 1:16 pm  #63

I got back last Tuesday from Brent, went from Cauchon's down to Nadine and out through the Nip.
I was surprised to see ANY black flies, but there were a few along Heart attack hill.
But, the mosquito's... well... they were the worst I've had yet.  They usually don't bother me even in June in past years, but man.  
Nevertheless, we had an awesome trip!
Pack plenty of deet and loose fitted clothing.

I'm heading back up to do the Trout Lake circuit out of Canoe lake on the August long weekend with some new to Canada folks.  I'll just bring an extra bug net.  I'm hoping for some good burn off by then.

JB

7/24/2017 7:36 am  #64

Just got back from Basin Lake.    Bugs were nasty on the trail to High Falls (Deer Files, Horse Files and mosquitos) 

Mosquito's got really bad just after sunset.  The worst I've ever seen them, usually I can tolerant around a campfire but we just went to the bed.  

7/24/2017 5:03 pm  #65

Just came back from Clydegale and like everyone else is saying, bugs are terrible this year. Worst I've seen for the past 5+ years at least (for late July). Didn't see many black flies, but mosquitos were out in full force. Probably doesn't help that Clydegale is basically one massive wetland as well.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/25/2017 10:21 am  #66

Didn't see many black flies, but mosquitos were out in full force. Probably doesn't help that Clydegale is basically one massive wetland as well.

The wet weather probably left temporary ponds in any low spots which would be prime breeding habitat for mosquitoes... small fish in lakes and rivers will feed on mosquito larvae reducing their numbers but in temporary ponds there won't be any fish and fewer predators so the mosquitoes hatching out in warm weather where there's a lot of ponding can be numerous. 

Driving around the area outside the park, there are farmer's fields plowed and seeded with open water pooling up in the low spots because of all the rain. Harder to see in forested country but ponds probably will be there as well. Bush roads still muddy and springs still flowing out the sides of hills where in a normal year they'd be dry. Any little puddle or even wet soil will do for a mosquito to lay eggs in, and after that, maybe a time as short as 10-15 days to develop into an adult searching for blood.

7/29/2017 12:17 pm  #67

The hiking subject forum isn't very active so I thought I'd ask here. How bad is the western uplands right now? I'm going over the long weekend and it sounds like mosquitoes are bad?

7/29/2017 12:25 pm  #68

Was there (WUT) last week and bugs were pretty bad.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.