You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2017 10:30 pm  #1

$11.50 reservation fee?

a friend asked me to secure a campsite for him and a friend sometime  mid aug. i drove to the  campgrounds office  of the park and made a reservation for two nights. the all in cost was $36.50 x 2 nights plus the $11.50 service charge = $95.49 for the two night stay. i just looked at the transaction record  to see that i was charged $11.50  fee for making the reservation. i made the reservation at the park office in person face to face, not on line. is this the proper  protocol? i thought that the fee was charged to people using  the online/phone  ontario parks reservation system only. if this is the case , i find that this two night stay is very expensive.
     any insights about the fee structure? can they charge me this res fee.?  or is it possible some one made a mistake. 
thanks

7/23/2017 11:55 pm  #2

Re: $11.50 reservation fee?

Hey Swede.

Yeah, this is normal protocol for any trip beginning in the future. It's charged for any and every reservation, regardless of how said reservation was made; however it is slightly less expensive when done online.

The only time you do not incur a reservation fee is for trips beginning the same day you get your permit. (Or the next day if you find a nice staffer)

Last edited by Peek (7/24/2017 7:55 am)

7/24/2017 12:39 am  #3

thanks peek            
            i thought the fee was strictly for online/phone reservations done through "ontario parks" system. not for bookings made face to face in that park office. a lot of money for a service charge, $11.50 for less than 2 minutes work.

Last edited by swedish pimple (7/24/2017 1:18 am)

7/24/2017 7:55 am  #4

Agreed. A total cash grab. Esp. now that reservations can be made online.

7/26/2017 3:19 pm  #5

Don't get me started on the reservation fee ... if you book one night its over 30% of the total price.  For some people I'm sure its enough to go to a private campground instead. 

Peek ... I thought that even if you book a site on the same day you still get charged the fee ?  I think that I booked a trip to sec by driving up to the gate and booking and paid the fee .. .but I could be wrong ...

7/26/2017 5:56 pm  #6

Hey DW.. I can confirm I've never paid/been charged the reservation fee when picking up a permit for an immediate canoe trip. it's entirely possible they charge it for Campground sites regardless if booked in advanced or not, but I have no idea, I've never stayed at a campground in Algonquin. As for backcountry, for sure you are not charged this fee unless booking in advanced.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.