You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2017 5:15 pm  #1

Hello from Opeongo

Spending a couple nights on the big lake fishing and exploring. Enjoyed a nice pan fried lake trout lunch today and caught some nice small mouth bass. Yesterday was a bit stormy with thunder lightning but today is picture perfect sunny. If I stand on the right spot on the campsite I can get a bit of cell service not that I really need it but nice to see up to date weather reports as I relax.

Will post some pics when I return.

7/18/2017 3:17 pm  #2

Re: Hello from Opeongo

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Have fun!

7/18/2017 3:46 pm  #3

vanslyke wrote:

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Have fun!

I second that! Hope you're having a blast on the great Ope!

7/18/2017 4:39 pm  #4

I'm jealous! Nicely done catching a laker, they sure aren't easy to come by unless you know what you're doing this time of year!

7/19/2017 9:59 am  #5

It really isn't that difficult to catch a lake trout at this time of the year, especially in Opeongo.

​Lead core line and/or bottom bouncers do the trick; as well as a heavy lure like a big EGB.

​I have never been skunked fishing Opeongo in the summer.Β  And that is approximately 15 times at least over the years.

​FYI, in case you do not know, trout will come to shallower warm water to feed in the early morning and in the evening as bait fish do not go down deep where the trout need to be in order to live as they are a cold water fish.Β  However, they can and do come into shallow warmer waters to feed, but only for a brief time.

Last edited by boknows (7/19/2017 10:02 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

7/19/2017 2:05 pm  #6

Thanks everyone and bo is right, poor man's Dow riggers is what I call them. A three way rig with heavy weight and you good to go. You have to pick and choose the time of day and locations by they can be found, so far I've boated two. Today opted for the bass fishing and they are always hungry and fun to play with.

The trout I did catch were in deep water but suspended at about the 30ft mark.

One more night then back to reality.

Last edited by fishquest (7/19/2017 2:21 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.