LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2017 9:41 pm  #1

Bushwhacking.....

I know I'm not the only one doing this in the park, just wondered if anyone wanted to share their reasons for doing it or some interesting stories/encounters while wandering around off the trails....

-I do it mostly for fishing and occasionally historical sites.

-This spring we came upon a fairly extensive grow-op (last year's crop), stopped counting at around 50 "flower pots".  Although they certainly found a secluded spot and I'm sure the return was worth it, that had to have been a lot of work.  It was interesting retracing the path they must have used.....

7/17/2017 1:12 pm  #2

Re: Bushwhacking.....

When I worked in the park we ran a portage to a single lake so we could easily get away from the corridor crowds. It didn't have a grow op tho, so I'll trade you places.

7/18/2017 5:26 pm  #3

I've made it into most of the lakes directly south of the Nip within striking distance from Gash to Creation. Native Specks were the goal and I'm rarely disappointed. I'm usually way too busy trying to follow the gps to notice anything. 

7/19/2017 11:14 am  #4

For reasons I still can't explain, a friend and I once bushwhacked our way to, and then entirely around, a lake off of Louisa. It took hours, was exhausting, and served no purpose whatsoever. That was almost a decade ago and I still remember it well, so there's that at least!

7/19/2017 2:17 pm  #5

Uppa wrote:

It took hours, was exhausting, and served no purpose whatsoever.

I think this is the perfect definition of an excellent adventure.

7/19/2017 11:59 pm  #6

I've bushwhacked around Maple Leaf Lake twice. It took about 6 hours as I recall and was tough going around the  western side mainly due to having to navigate over and through logging debris. Half the time I didn't know where I was as the lake was out of sight but I always knew I was going in the right direction. It was great when I finally linked up to the end of the trail up at the north end of the lake. Familiar ground!

Dave

Board footera