You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2017 9:51 pm  #1

Thoughts on this route?

This will be for a solo trip, either mid-August or mid-September. I'll be double carrying and would like to have a bit of downtime to just enjoy being out there, and especially since it's a long trip and I'm paddling some large lakes, I want some buffer time in case of any delays.

The trip is based around Big Trout and Burntroot since I like stranded island sites and want to get somewhere remote that I haven't been to yet. Scenic campsites are more important to me than swimming and fishing (won't be doing any fishing).

Day 1: Canoe Lake to Otterslide
Day 2: Otterslide to Big Trout
Day 3: Rest day at Big Trout
Day 4: Big Trout to Burntroot
Day 5: Rest day on Burntroot
Day 6: Burntroot to White Trout
Day 7: White Trout to McIntosh
Day 8: McIntosh back to Canoe

A couple things I'm considering...

1. Doing the route in the opposite direction; rest days would be later in the trip, but I'd have a heavier load for the 2.4km double carry. How bad is this portage into Ink lake exactly? And how important is going north vs. south for Otterslide creek?

2. Switching McIntosh with Sunbeam; would avoid the 2.4km, but would make up for it with all the other portages and would actually add some time to the trip overall. How do the portages from Sunbeam - Grass Bay compare to going through McIntosh - Grassy Bay?

3. Dropping the first rest day on Big Trout; simply just to save a day. I'm just worried that having only 1 rest day might not be enough buffer time for the trip length/distance covered.

4. Any other tips or advice for this route? I've gone from Canoe to Otterslide a handful of times, so that day I'm very familiar with, but haven't ventured into any of the other lakes before.

Thanks in advance.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/14/2017 7:16 am  #2

Re: Thoughts on this route?

Big Trout and Burntroot are both beautiful lakes, so good choice of destinations!

1. Having done that 2.4k portage between Ink and Tom Thomson many times (in both directions), here's my opinion of it: I hate it. It's rocky and rooty and up and down, and always feels longer than it is as a result. There's a super steep descent into Ink, by the way, but at least they put in 'stairs' for that section to make it a bit less onerous (although the stairs weren't designed for any normal-size human). Your direction on Otterslide creek won't matter at all.

2. None of the Grassy Bay portages are all that bad, whether into Sunbeam or into McIntosh. 

3. Entirely up to you of course. Big Trout is beautiful so you might appreciate having some time to relax and enjoy it. 

4. It's a great trip with lots of beautiful terrain. You'll enjoy it in either direction. Sunbeam is also a cute little lake if you decide to go that way instead. 

7/14/2017 11:30 am  #3

Thanks for all the advice, looks like I'll stick with Sunbeam. Really wasn't crazy about double carrying a 2.4km unless it was really worth it.

I'll probably keep the rest day on Big Trout as well. And in terms of loop direction I'll probably just choose whichever option has better campsite availability.

algonquinbeyond.com

7/15/2017 7:24 am  #4

Big Trout to Burntroot is very short day. I'd stay in the southern part of Big Trout on night before to paddle the length of the lake next morning.

7/15/2017 9:05 am  #5

EddyTurn wrote:

Big Trout to Burntroot is very short day. I'd stay in the southern part of Big Trout on night before to paddle the length of the lake next morning.

Well they're both huge lakes so it depends where I start and end; If I paddle from the south of Big Trout to the north of Burntroot, I'm looking at around 6hr day, not accounting for any potential headwinds. The day from Otterslide to Big Trout will definitely be shorter so I might try and tackle a bit of the Big Trout paddle on that day.

Realistically I'll just take the first nice campsite that appeals to me lol

algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.