You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2017 8:27 am  #1

Day 1 Trip Video up - Magnetawan to Rosebary

Hey folks, 

I got back a few days ago from a shorter-than-planned trip into the park. Apparently mishaps are part of my regular camping existence now, as before I ever got on the water I was already in trouble. Nonetheless, it turned out to be an enjoyable and relaxing few days in the park. Hope you enjoy the vid! 

7/11/2017 8:46 am  #2

Re: Day 1 Trip Video up - Magnetawan to Rosebary

dammmmmmmmn! I'm 30 seconds in and I had to comment.

dude.. why.. why break a window that moves when you have a smaller window right beside it with no mechanical parts..?

okay, back to the video just had to get that out... I was like 'noooooooooooooooooo!' also.. tough glass!

7/11/2017 8:51 am  #3

While I didn't know this at the time so can't claim that was my motive, apparently those tiny windows can be very expensive to replace. Like far more expensive than regular windows. The logic at the time was that I didn't trust my aim against such a small target. I could have easily ended up doing body damage if I'd tried. 

7/11/2017 8:51 am  #4

Peek wrote:

dammmmmmmmn! I'm 30 seconds in and I had to comment.

dude.. why.. why break a window that moves when you have a smaller window right beside it with no mechanical parts..?

okay, back to the video just had to get that out... I was like 'noooooooooooooooooo!' also.. tough glass!

I couldn't believe you THREW the rock at it...
I would have missed and hit the door panel! You're a brave soul!

7/11/2017 9:02 am  #5

Bob - well then it's a win by default! I honestly thought it would be less expensive to replace the non-moving window, but yeah it makes sense, perhaps locating the specific-cut glass is expensive. I wasn't ripping on you, just wondered about the choice of window.

Honestly this is a big concern for me every time I launch for a trip - for EXACTLY the reason you left the keys in the car - top up some batteries before you go. I'm so paranoid about it that I'll usually roll down one window enough to get an arm in if need be... BUT.. there are downsides to my methodology too.. I once left said window down while out on a 5 night trip.. and it rained 4 out of 5 nights.  Wet butt for the ride home? Yup.

7/11/2017 9:21 am  #6

Great video as always Bob, it wouldn't be a trip unless something odd happened. Good to get it out of the way right off the bat.
Looks like you had some nice weather too bad about the messy campsite left by people who don't seem to care much about the park. 
Looking forward to seeing the next video!

Cheers

7/11/2017 9:31 am  #7

@breed: I had visions of me cutting myself to hell and back if I tried any other option. The same reason I was wearing a jacket on a beautiful warm day - just in case I got glass blowback. 

@Peek: I didn't think you were ripping on me, no worries. The auto glass place I took the car to suggested I should have broken one of the front seat windows instead - apparently they're easier and less expensive to replace. I'll certainly be paranoid in the future about leaving keys in the ignition. 

@Abe: That's one way to look at my stupidity - let's go with that ;). If I'd been paddling out of Rosebary to the Tim access point I'd have lugged the garbage out with me. Hopefully someone does soon (if they haven't already). The same jerks left a Canadian flag camp chair next to the garbage bag. 

7/11/2017 10:13 am  #8

Uppa wrote:

@Abe: That's one way to look at my stupidity - let's go with that ;). If I'd been paddling out of Rosebary to the Tim access point I'd have lugged the garbage out with me. Hopefully someone does soon (if they haven't already). The same jerks left a Canadian flag camp chair next to the garbage bag. 

Heading to Rosebary Lake on Saturday, for a 1 nighter. Should have room in the canoe; will try to pack it out if it's still there.

Cheers.

7/11/2017 10:19 am  #9

Uppa wrote:

@breed: I had visions of me cutting myself to hell and back if I tried any other option. The same reason I was wearing a jacket on a beautiful warm day - just in case I got glass blowback. 

For future (hopefully this won't be the case ) side glass is GENERALLY tempered glass (maybe some older autos have laminated) and when tempered glass is broken it shatters into tiny pieces that typically don't cause any harm.  It's easiest to break this glass with a concentrated load.  You'll commonly see pointy metal tips on the back ends of knife handles or multi-tools that are designed just for this purpose (should you get trapped in your car under water and need to break the window to get out, etc...).

Cheers.

7/11/2017 11:37 am  #10

That was awesome.

YG2D

7/11/2017 1:14 pm  #11

That was AWESOME.  I watched at work, so I had to skip some sections and couldn't listen in, but I knew where you where.  Thank you so much for posting this.  I contemplated this for a solo trip this fall, but decided elsewhere.  I really wanted to see what David Creek looked like and part of my concern for that route was that creek in the middle of the carry to Rosebary, which.....ok, let's be honest, that was pretty entertaining viewing right there.  I remember reading an account where somebody tossed their pack across that creek to somebody catching on the other side, and that would be one heck of a toss.  I was a little nervous watching you there, because I was thinking if he dunks with that pack he's in real trouble because it is clipped around his waist.  I know it is more stable that way, which makes you more stable, but I was thinking it would be easier to slide out of the pack quickly if you needed to if you only had the shoulder straps to contend with.  Glad you made it across safely and scored the touchdown.

The section on David Creek (you are welcome for the rent-free usage of my personal creek - I claimed it in my real name as opposed to Dontgroandaddy last Fall), was when you did the log balancing routine.  That was an impressive feat, though I was pretty sure you were going to take an unscheduled bath.  Favorite moment is right after that, when you got on the move again.  You turned to check on the camera, but it looked like you were turning around to make sure the rest of us were there.  Yep!  We were still there right behind you on the adventure!

Thanks again for sharing that!!  Much appreciated!  Sorry about the window.  It isn't the kind of expense you plan for when you plan for camping equipment purchases.  

7/11/2017 1:43 pm  #12

finally finished the video and man oh man - what a great production!! thoroughly enjoyed it Bob!!

Last edited by Peek (7/11/2017 1:43 pm)

7/11/2017 3:35 pm  #13

Great video as per usual. I look forward to the next day's video. What was the drink you made at the end?

7/12/2017 8:01 am  #14

@breed85: If you end up lugging out that garbage that would be amazing. Let me know if you find it still there. You can't miss it if you set foot on that campsite. Also yeah, hopefully I never need to know the proper way to break a window ;)

@Curemd: Thanks!

@dontgroandaddy: Thanks. It never crossed my mind that strapping on my pack while fording that creek might be a bad idea - I hadn't contemplated falling in. I thought the water was only 2-3 feet deep and wasn't expecting it to fall off like it did. By then I was pretty much committed. Thanks for letting me borrow your creek!

@Peek: glad you enjoyed it! I added a second waterproof camera on this trip which let me add in some new angles/footage. Hopefully that's helping the overall quality out a bit. 

@RCShevalier: Thanks! I hesitate to admit what I was drinking because it's sacrilegious. Peek suggested a while ago a whiskey sour using Mio Lemonade. I tried that at home and didn't like it at all. But I'd also bought a couple of other flavours and while they make no sense, I enjoyed them more. That was Mio cranberry-raspberry, rye whiskey and water. I wouldn't drink it in my living room, but it works just fine in the backcountry!

7/12/2017 6:05 pm  #15

Uppa, Just got a chance to watch your video, I salute you sir for how you handled the situation with your car, just getting started on your trip!   That was an awsome start once you got on the water though!  Seeing that Moose and your trip down to Rosebary had to have put things in perspective, eh?  

Bummer to hear about that crap others left on the site on Rosebary. My brother and I stayed on the same site on Rosebary that you ended up on a few years ago. Aside from the somewhat slope of the area there were a few level places to pitch a tent and we really loved the view and breeze . How did you like it? Also, did you happend to see the resident gardner snake? From talking with others, it sounds like he has been living there for a few years now. Same with the moose antler welcoming  

Anxious to watch day 2 !  By chance, did you make it down and back to Long Bow?

Last edited by Andy W (7/12/2017 6:11 pm)

7/12/2017 6:27 pm  #16

Andy I think you may have just gave away your 'Where in Algonquin' photo ;p

7/12/2017 6:34 pm  #17

Ha! Yup! You got it Peek. I guess I gave away too many hints! Was wondering who would be the 1st to connect the dots as they say.

Last edited by Andy W (7/12/2017 6:39 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.