You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2015 12:30 pm  #1

Opeongo Lake Cabins by Algonquin Outfitters

What's the scoop with those little cabins on Opeongo Lake right in behind the Algonquin Outfitters building?  Whenever we do an evening drive (after hours) I often see a bunch of young kids hanging out on the deks, playing guitar, etc.  I'm assuming they are Park staff or AO staff?  I always get so envious seeing that and think how awesome a summer job that would be for a kid.....I always wish I had done something like that when I was young.

8/28/2015 4:00 pm  #2

Re: Opeongo Lake Cabins by Algonquin Outfitters

Hi Steve .. given that the walkway and steps lead right from the store, it sure looks like staff housing doesn't it?

Following image thanks to Google Earth at  https://www.google.com/earth/

8/28/2015 10:24 pm  #3

If I had to do it all over again, I'd wish to work there year round. But yeah, a great summer job for sure.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

8/28/2015 10:25 pm  #4

Ya I agree Barry it must be for AO staff.  Kellycamps...you and me both!

8/28/2015 10:34 pm  #5

That picture Barry posted is indeed the OPE staff residence. The room on the far right was mine for several summers. Great summer job, lots of opportunities for paddling, swimming, hiking. To the right of that building is another residence for the permit office staff.

9/02/2015 11:25 pm  #6

I was getting laid off this summer and had applied to AO and a few other places. Had just been offered a job driving a boat for a summer camp in the park when I was promoted to full time in the city. Working in the park has always been a dream of mine, especially if it was a trail maintenance job

9/03/2015 8:37 am  #7

I always assumed that it was lodging for the store staff and water taxi drivers.

The image that Barry posted doesn't seem to show the satellite dish or the tv antenna.

We've arrived at the landing in the evening a few times, when the store is closed, and have seen folks sitting at a table up there.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/21/2015 8:08 am  #8

Indeed the cabins behind out Algonquin Outfitters Lake Opeongo store are staff cabins.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.