You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/23/2017 3:51 pm  #1

ALGONQUIN PARK IS CALLING ME!

I have decided just now to take a canoe trip for 7 days to Stratton Lake.  I would probably be leaving this coming Monday and staying till the following Monday (after Canada Day weekend).

Problem is because I am leaving in 3 days, I cannot make a reservation.  If you have past experience doing this, what are the chances of me getting a campsite on Canada Day weekend on Stratton.  I don't think I will have a problem from Monday until Thursday.  It is after that I am concerned about.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

6/23/2017 4:00 pm  #2

Re: ALGONQUIN PARK IS CALLING ME!

One thing I have done before on the White P Express is getting a self serve permit at Sand Lake gate early in the morning..

What I do not understand is if I go in before Sand Lake gate opens (around 5 a.m.) and get my self serve permit for my entire stay, doesn't that mean that Stratton Lake could be OVERBOOKED??????

6/23/2017 6:36 pm  #3

Checked online for July 1st, stratton fully booked and pretty much everything around it is fully booked, only really the north of the park has open spots currently for July1st

6/24/2017 3:09 am  #4

TrevaH,

​My point exactly.  You say Stratton is entirely booked.  However, I might not know this and I could go in EARLY before Sand Lake Gate opens, use the self serve option, and book Stratton for July 1st (which is already entirely booked).  This would mean that Stratton is overbooked.  And because my trip would have started 4-5 days earlier, I would get one of the sites on Stratton on July 1st as I am already there 4-5 days earlier and someone else would be out of luck even though he/she made a reservation.  Am I missing something here?????

Anyways, the 7 day forecast for Grand Lake  is calling for rain (and litle sun) from June 29 to July 1st.  I think I will just celebrate Canada Day on Parliament Hill in Ottawa and then head to THE GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD on Monday, July 3rd and camp WITHOUT MY CONSCIENCE BOTHERING ME on any lake I desire.  And, according to current forecast, the weather from July 3rd to July 8 is TOTAL SUNSHINE.

Last edited by boknows (6/24/2017 4:01 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.