You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2017 10:14 am  #1

Bushwhacking, Richard to Headstone

Looking at Jeffs map, it says that no portage exists between Richard and Headstone(north east of Whitney, just outside of the park) and you would have to bushwhack the 2.2km to make it a loop.  Has anyone done this recently? Doable? thanks.

6/21/2017 2:59 pm  #2

Re: Bushwhacking, Richard to Headstone

I haven't done it but over the 2.2km you're looking at a 46m drop in elevation and then a 41m climb with some wetland in the middle. Also, it's only 2.2km as the crow flies. If you navigate around hills and obstacles, it looks like it will be more.

I guess my question to you is - how much do you like yourself?

6/23/2017 8:57 am  #3

Looks like a torture trip on the top map but there may be logging roads and bridges to make the going easier in the area. I haven't got time to check that out, later. Bushwhacking is a great way to see the unseen side of the park, to get someplace few others will see... give it a try... 50% of the time it isn't a bitter disappointment. LOL J/K

;)

6/23/2017 9:42 am  #4

Even getting from Booth to Richard can be a challenge. The portages are not where they are shown on Jeffs Maps and have not been maintained by the park in years (of course this can always change). They did receive some maintenance by users is 2015. 

A guy went from Rapid Lake into the park back in 2014. Here is a video showing a bushwhack from McCauley Creek to Richard. It took him 12 hours to get from Headstone to Richard.

https://youtu.be/Yaq9RXpkPN0 

6/23/2017 12:02 pm  #5

I have been to Headstone (not by bushwhacking) and also to Hardtack and Lobster Lakes by old roads outside the town of Whitney.  Even had my canoe on them.  You need a vehicle with high clearance (some rough and very rough sections) and a topographical map to guide you along these roads.

Last edited by boknows (6/23/2017 12:08 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

6/23/2017 3:46 pm  #6

Well... checking several different sets of top maps and sat photos, there are logging roads east of Richard that eventually lead to Headstone but in a very long and roundabout route to the hydro right-of-way and it's probably easier to just bushwhack.

There seems to be a narrow forested spot along McCauley creek that could be crossed without getting bogged down in wetlands but still a gamble since the reality on the ground could be different from the delusion being created by the sat photo and top maps.

For me, a kilometer an hour is about average with backpack if the going is easy through open forest, not too thick with undergrowth and that usually means sticking to higher ground to avoid the dreaded wetlands. Might be doable with a canoe but who knows.

Even if you can't get through, Richard looks like an interesting lake to return to with cliffs and rocky open areas, and no roads to the lake visible.

PS... also the small lake north of Richard, so that's something.

Last edited by frozentripper (6/23/2017 3:49 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.