You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2017 9:07 pm  #1

Going to Clydegale for 2 nights, what to do with my free time?

I've left from Rock a handful of times but I've never gone all the way down to Clydegale. I've spent time at the Penn Falls before, so now I'm looking for some other exploring options.

Day 1 will just be getting to the campsite, setting up, and relaxing. Day 2 I was thinking about paddling down the Madawaska River... how far is it worth going? Is it worth doing the 1055m unofficial portage and the 180m unofficial, or is it better to just paddle until the portage then turn around?

Day 3 will be heading back to Rock Lake, but I would consider doing the Booths Rock Trail before heading home. Is it a high elevation/does it give a good lookout? What's the best way to access the trail... leave my canoe/gear at the start of the 1540m and start from there? 

Any other recommendations?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

6/14/2017 4:30 am  #2

Re: Going to Clydegale for 2 nights, what to do with my free time?

I wouldn't paddle too long on the Madawaska River when you are going.  There are a couple of lakes off this river that are good lakes to fish, but not when you are going.  The Booth Rock Trail is easy to access from the camping lot and also you might want to view the lumber baron J.R. Booth's estate that was there years ago, including tennis courts.  These can also be easily accessed from a campsite on Rock Lake.  Check out Jeff's map to locate this campsite.

Enjoy!

Last edited by boknows (6/14/2017 4:35 am)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

6/14/2017 6:00 am  #3

Bring a headnet if paddling the Madawaska river. Was there last weekend and when we stopped to throw a line in we were visited by thousands of little friends.
Otherwise it was a really nice paddle.

6/14/2017 6:52 am  #4

boknows wrote:

I wouldn't paddle too long on the Madawaska River when you are going.  There are a couple of lakes off this river that are good lakes to fish, but not when you are going.  The Booth Rock Trail is easy to access from the camping lot and also you might want to view the lumber baron J.R. Booth's estate that was there years ago, including tennis courts.  These can also be easily accessed from a campsite on Rock Lake.  Check out Jeff's map to locate this campsite.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I don't do much fishing so that doesn't concern me. But I'll probably just paddle to the start of the portages then turn around.

RCSpartan wrote:

Bring a headnet if paddling the Madawaska river. Was there last weekend and when we stopped to throw a line in we were visited by thousands of little friends.
Otherwise it was a really nice paddle.

Forgot to specify, this trip will be mid/late July, so hopefully the bugs won't be nearly as bad. But thanks for the heads up anyways

algonquinbeyond.com

6/14/2017 7:52 am  #5

The Madawaska is definitely worth checking out. I've only paddled the start of it but we had a delightful encounter with a mama beaver and her baby.

6/14/2017 8:22 am  #6

Several wetlands on the lake, mid-July there could be moose feeding on aquatic plants. The river has interesting features on it but water levels could be a problem if it is a dry year. Also deer flies in July could be rough and the more open and breezy lake more pleasant. Check Barry Bridgeford's TR for pics and description... good luck.

6/20/2017 10:17 am  #7

I hiked the portage to Little Canoe in October 2009 and I was eating pizza at Little Canoe and heard a little snap behind me and twenty feet away there was a wolf going by. A couple of minutes later another showed up. So you could always try your luck at that. Crazy wolf howl night that was. Incredible.

6/20/2017 6:04 pm  #8

CoreyTrevor wrote:

I hiked the portage to Little Canoe in October 2009 and I was eating pizza at Little Canoe and heard a little snap behind me and twenty feet away there was a wolf going by. A couple of minutes later another showed up. So you could always try your luck at that. Crazy wolf howl night that was. Incredible.

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll check out the trail and make it a wood-collecting excursion. Any info on the ruins right beside the trail on Jeff's maps?

algonquinbeyond.com

6/21/2017 8:28 am  #9

I didn't check out the ruins.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.