You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2017 2:44 pm  #18

Re: Some Huge Brook Trout

Those are dandy trout!! 

I still have vivid memories of fishing The Park with my dad in the 70s. Those are important lessons you're teaching your son. Congratulations to both of you.

5/29/2017 6:38 pm  #19

SwiftPaddler wrote:

That is just awesome!! Thank you for sharing.  Memories that will last a lifetime for sure. Your son is very fortunate! 

Thanks! My kid doesn't really understand how lucky he is, but I'm positive he will. 

5/29/2017 6:39 pm  #20

Windymaple wrote:

Those are dandy trout!! 

I still have vivid memories of fishing The Park with my dad in the 70s. Those are important lessons you're teaching your son. Congratulations to both of you.

I agree with you about the important lessons. Thank you sir!

Cheers

5/30/2017 9:18 am  #21

Wow!
I just got back from the park and caught my first brookie, it was about 2lbs...i thought it was a decent one...but now...
Congrats on getting on them so well!  Great pics and great to see a kid excited about fishing 👍🏻

5/30/2017 3:58 pm  #22

vanslyke wrote:

Wow!
I just got back from the park and caught my first brookie, it was about 2lbs...i thought it was a decent one...but now...
Congrats on getting on them so well! Great pics and great to see a kid excited about fishing 👍🏻

Thanks! And there's certainly nothing wrong with a 2lb brookie! My son is absolutely addicted, I take him with me all the time.

5/31/2017 8:10 am  #23

That's just awesome catching those beauties with your son. Yes he is spoiled for life now! I have actually seen some of your writing before but cannot remember where now. Its also great you got such great pictures. Memories for a lifetime - well done!

Moonman.

5/31/2017 8:19 am  #24

Moonman wrote:

That's just awesome catching those beauties with your son. Yes he is spoiled for life now! I have actually seen some of your writing before but cannot remember where now. Its also great you got such great pictures. Memories for a lifetime - well done!

Moonman.

Thanks! I wrote for Ontario Out Of Doors for some time so perhaps there? I have a website now where all of my travel is chronicled and am in the process of launching my own magazine, www.canadafishingguide.net

My son has been spoiled for a while now LOL! I travel across Canada visiting remote fishing camps and writing about the experience and he's joined me many times. This summer he's coming with me twice to two different camps in far northern Manitoba. He doesn't really "get it" now at the age of 10 how fortunate he is, but he will.

6/14/2017 9:03 am  #25

Hey Mike didn't know you posted here as well. I m sure Dave told you that our biologist friend truly believes that the big fish you are catching are some of the biggest specks he has ever seen taken from the park and this includes netting and spawning observations while diving over a coarse of 50 years on almost every lake in the park. Good thing it looks like a trip for younger men than I else you would never hear the end of my begging for location.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

6/14/2017 12:13 pm  #26

Was Hardcore wrote:

Hey Mike didn't know you posted here as well. I m sure Dave told you that our biologist friend truly believes that the big fish you are catching are some of the biggest specks he has ever seen taken from the park and this includes netting and spawning observations while diving over a coarse of 50 years on almost every lake in the park. Good thing it looks like a trip for younger men than I else you would never hear the end of my begging for location.

Hey man, I'm not going to tell you, but if I can do it, I'll bet you can. Sheer force of will is a powerful thing.
I've talked to a few different people about what we accomplished. I already knew just how rare it was, but that has certainly been confirmed in spades. My kid totally thinks it's normal LOL! He may never catch brook trout that big for the rest of his life unless we do Labrador or the Sutton.

6/14/2017 2:18 pm  #27

Very nicely done! Good on you for getting your son onto those fish and executing such a successful fishing trip. I have enjoyed reading your trip reports on your website as well, always well written with lots of great photos. Once I become a licensed landscape architect I am going to treat myself to a trip to the Sutton. 

Cheers,

Lenny

6/15/2017 9:48 am  #28

I just MIGHT know the lake.  About 10 years ago, my 3 buddies and I came upon a lake where all we caught were speckled trout in the 5 lb. range.  Nice fish for sure (all released), but we didn't catch anything smaller which to me was bad because it doesn't look like spawning was working in this lake.  I was wondering if you in fact caught some small specks in the lake you were fishing.  I hope so!

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

6/17/2017 6:18 pm  #29

solopaddler wrote:

Was Hardcore wrote:

Hey man, I'm not going to tell you, but if I can do it, I'll bet you can. Sheer force of will is a powerful thing.
I've talked to a few different people about what we accomplished. I already knew just how rare it was, but that has certainly been confirmed in spades. My kid totally thinks it's normal LOL! He may never catch brook trout that big for the rest of his life unless we do Labrador or the Sutton.

Sutton River + 10 days of brook trout river fishing with no portages + yes.
Deep Interior of Ap with 10 000 meters of up and down crappily maintained ports not a chance for me. Unless now that i am 10 000 bucks richer I can pay you to carry everything including me LOL

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

6/22/2017 7:10 pm  #30

Good god. I'm so very happy to see this and it is so respectful of you to release these trophies. You sir are a true sportsman and may have helped to influence your son to be the same. Congratulations.

8/14/2017 12:21 pm  #31

Those are serious fish ... for any fisherman at any age those are nice fish. 

I laughed when you said that he thinks that this is normal ... the first interior trip I took my daughter on, my youngest caught a bass that was close to 5lbs ... she was reeling in a perch and the bass grabbed it and then the hook got stuck in the bass.  She expected to catch a big one every time we went out after that !

8/15/2017 7:53 pm  #32

Well I just finished reading the OOD article about the FOI request solopaddler.

I can't believe someone would actually do that...

This is the reason people stop posting photos and videos like the ones you shared.

I enjoy seeing and reading these types of things and unfortunately someone who refuses, or is just plain too lazy to put the effort into going to try and find something for themselves is going to ruin it for people like me.

I appreciate you having shared this with us originally and I'm sorry this is/has happened...

Last edited by breed85 (8/15/2017 7:55 pm)

8/15/2017 11:46 pm  #33

Well I certainly hope that the ministry recognizes that this is an inappropriate use of the FOI, and shuts this request down. IMO, no other individual has the right to know where I was camping, so long as I don't have to account for my actions in some way. When you collect your permit you can choose to give the park permission to divulge your whereabouts for use in emergencies. Considering permission is needed for emergency situations, you'd certainly hope that 'personal interest' situations would be met with a hard 'no.'

Let us know how this pans out.

8/16/2017 6:32 am  #34

Unfortunately the request will probably be successful eventually. The rationale for FOI requests is to provide people information that the government is holding. The context of why they want it is not particularly important. It will be anonymized with personal information blacked out but the lakes camped on are not personal information.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.