You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2017 6:17 am  #1

Kevin Callan and Lake Louisa

I never thought there were specks in Lake Louisa; however, Kevin Callan just told me he caught one there this past spring.  Anyone else ever caught specks in this lake?

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/25/2017 6:55 am  #2

Re: Kevin Callan and Lake Louisa

Hey Ken, I was on Louisa only a few days after Kevin (I actually did his exact trip, same campsites and all UNINTENTIONALLY lol). I managed to catch this beauty from shore : 

The specky must have been hungry.. I lost all my tackle at a previous campsite on my trip and all I had left at that point was a Mepp's Aglia BRIGHT which is a very bright presumably glow in the dark yellow. I'm surprised it didn't scare it off.
Only the one speck though! I caught many of these all around the same size:

Last edited by ATVenture (5/25/2017 6:58 am)

5/25/2017 7:16 am  #3

The trout fishing surveys from 2009 to 2012, in total between them, show a whole one brookie caught in Louisa. I once asked Jeff McMurtie whether that record was the reason he put the brookie symbol on Louisa, and if so whether maybe that should be chalked up to misidentification. But he said no, there was a scientific netting survey in which, again, once brookie was caught amongst the lakers.

My suspicion therefore is that there's no population of brookies in Louisa, perhaps due to a lack of suitable spawning ground, but they occasionally wander in from connected waterbodies.

That is my totally non-expert guess based on totally circumstantial evidence.

(Moderator edited: removal of specific sub-size lake reference, as per http://www.algonquinadventures.com/NewForumUse.htm ).

Last edited by BarryB (5/25/2017 2:20 pm)

5/25/2017 9:00 am  #4

I too think the most likely way specks are getting into Louisa is via the creek from ****** Lake.  However, if there is a speckled trout fishery in Louisa, that would be great for us and future generations.

(Moderator edited: removal of specific sub-size lake reference, as per http://www.algonquinadventures.com/NewForumUse.htm ).

Last edited by BarryB (5/25/2017 2:20 pm)

5/25/2017 10:16 am  #5

boknows wrote:

I too think the most likely way specks are getting into Louisa is via the creek from ******* Lake.  However, if there is a speckled trout fishery in Louisa, that would be great for us and future generations.

******* Lake eh???? Guess where I'm going next time I'm in the area! I didn't even notice it on the map!!!

Last edited by BarryB (5/25/2017 2:21 pm)

5/29/2017 10:20 pm  #6

I've been to Louisa multiple times and caught many trouts, all lakers, with the exception of the very first one being a brookie. About the same size as the one posted above. 

My first and only brookie!

5/29/2017 10:21 pm  #7

oh I should add, the area that I caught it in is quite far from any brookie lakes. So I think Louisa must have a small brook trout population

5/30/2017 7:16 am  #8

_ra_ wrote:

oh I should add, the area that I caught it in is quite far from any brookie lakes. So I think Louisa must have a small brook trout population

If my hypothesis is correct, and I really don't know if it is, it wouldn't limit brookies to parts of Lake Louisa close to the brookie lake they came from. Once a fish got into Louisa it could stay there for the rest of the season, or the rest of its life perhaps, and have the run of the whole lake. Lots of space and lots of food, just nowhere to spawn (the way I'm imagining it). It's possible there is a small spawning population within Louisa, but I still find it also quite plausible that there isn't.

5/30/2017 12:54 pm  #9

Yes, once brookies get into Louisa, they can go where they wish as they like to travel to where the food is.  I too believe that there is no precise spawning area for brook trout to hatch in Louisa as there is/was in Dickson and other native speckled trout lakes.  In many years gone by, there would have been more specks caught in Louisa if there were precise spawning areas there for specks.

6/11/2017 6:28 pm  #10

I guess that means I don't have to feel as bad about eating it. It couldn't spawn anyway!

6/12/2017 11:26 am  #11

As far as I am concerned, ANY SPECKLED TROUT caught in Louisa would have to travel back to where it came from to spawn.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.