You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2017 2:38 pm  #1

Camera Equipment

For those of us who take a lot of video while we're out in the park, I'm wondering what kind of camera you're using? I've got a GoPro Hero 4, and I like the image quality, but I'm finding the audio pick up isn't great. Part of the problem is that all my filming is done from behind a waterproof case, so that muffles the mic. So, if you've got a GoPro, have you found a way around that issue? And if you've got something else, what is it?

Thanks,

Drew

6/08/2017 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Camera Equipment

Combination of Canon T5i, Canon Powershot SX30, Canon Powershot D30 (waterproof) and a non-GoPro action cam. One of the limitations I started running into was sound quality so I have looked at adding an external mike like a Rode Video Mic (there are a few models) and possibly clip on mics. That research was a couple of years ago but I haven't gotten around to buying anything in large part because of the costs. The T5i would let me use an external mic, which was a first step. The mic would be another step. 

6/08/2017 4:28 pm  #3

Likely not an overly helpful answer but I picked up a Session 5 earlier this year.

It's Waterproof without a case so no audio issues that way. Have taken it snorkelling and when it exits the water it drains fast and audio quality is back to normal very quickly.

So have had no issues with audio yet but again it's new. Only been on 2 canoe trips with it so far.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

6/08/2017 4:51 pm  #4

I got rid of my GoPro for precisely the reason you outlined - the audio. I replaced it with a Panasonic Lumix TS5, which is shockproof and "waterproof" (more on that in a sec). It's the camera attached to my kayak, so all 'on the water' video in my last two trip reports (this Spring, last summer) is from it if you want to get a sense of the audio quality. I'm generally quite happy with it - definitely much happier than with the GoPro. It's a regular camera so you have all the regular camera features like being able to review your photos and vids and change settings with an actual interface and reasonable screen real estate, and the audio is excellent. 

Back to "waterproof". I used it last summer for the first time. Twice I put it underwater on that trip. Both times the lens fogged up shortly thereafter, and it took a few hours drying in the sun before I could take video that wasn't also foggy. So I don't plan on putting it underwater ever again (which I'm okay with), and now consider it a 'water resistant' camera that won't actually be destroyed even if it spends time completely underwater. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.