You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2017 10:18 pm  #18

Re: Bugs

We were at access 10, Fork lake this past weekend. Saturday during the day was breezy and a nice trip in, the evening bugs got crazy and we were basically hiding in the bug screen the whole time. Sunday morning we paddled back, no wind and perfectly calm water. Bugs were absolutely insane the entire paddle back was massive clouds of black flies, definitely not for me, the wetness this year has contributed to crazy black fly numbers.

6/06/2017 8:20 am  #19

We sprayed our clothes with permethrin before our May long weekend trip and noticed a huge difference compared to our friends who did not have the spray. 

The spray I have lasts up to 6 washes so it will serve me well for an upcoming solo in a few weeks. 

6/06/2017 9:54 am  #20

CanoeClaire wrote:

We sprayed our clothes with permethrin before our May long weekend trip and noticed a huge difference compared to our friends who did not have the spray. 

The spray I have lasts up to 6 washes so it will serve me well for an upcoming solo in a few weeks. 

I've never heard of permethrin before. Where did you buy it?

6/06/2017 10:00 am  #21

Hi CanoeClaire. I read on the bottle that it's 6 washes or something like 42 days, I guess whatever comes first...Maybe just double check before heading out.

I became a believer in Permethrin a few Junes ago when my buddy wearing it had 3 bites compared to my 300. Sprayed my gear on the weekend so hopefully I'll be good come Thursday.

6/06/2017 10:05 am  #22

@RCShevalier Only in the US. Not sure if they will ship to Canada. I stocked up last time I was in the states.

6/06/2017 10:24 am  #23

@RCShevalier Permethrin is an insecticide is that applied directly to your clothes (before you put them on!). Most mosquito bed nets that are popular in malaria areas are infused with it when they are manufactured. I've also seen other outdoor clothing some with it already applied at purchase. 

You can buy it as a spray bottle and apply it to your own clothes, tents, etc. I applied it to my pants, long sleeve shirt and hat.

It's great for mosquitos and black flies but it's also highly recommended for ticks and many people apply it to their socks and boots. 

The brand I have came from the US but a quick search on amazon.ca shows some reasonably priced options available in Canada. You just want to look to see that the active ingredient is permethrin (that's the chemistry name). 

6/06/2017 2:56 pm  #24

I actually packed my swim shorts lmfao. I thought some time or other I would be able to take a quick dip. I don't care about the temp. I've swam in lakes with ice on them still lol. But, Wow was I wrong..woulda got carried away....not to mention, what is the little mini white puff balls floating around in the lake? Pine pollen or something? I was on Bice and it absolutely covered the lake.

I'm just gone Fishin!

6/06/2017 3:01 pm  #25

The Weather Network is reporting Low bug activity in Algonquin Park. I appreciate the feedback from those who were recently there but this info came from the internet so it must be accurate. Leaving the bug gear at home to save weight.Tue Jun 6Wed Jun 7Thu Jun 8Fri Jun 9Sat Jun 10

6/06/2017 4:14 pm  #26

RCSpartan wrote:

The Weather Network is reporting Low bug activity in Algonquin Park. I appreciate the feedback from those who were recently there but this info came from the internet so it must be accurate. Leaving the bug gear at home to save weight.Tue Jun 6Wed Jun 7Thu Jun 8Fri Jun 9Sat Jun 10

Lol

I'm fairly certain they took those bug activity readings in the weather network secure underground bunker in Algonquin, there's no way they can call black flies "low" at ground level LOL

6/06/2017 4:38 pm  #27

I also second the use of permethrin or the ExOfficio Bugs Away clothing (though it's pricey).  I swear a few years back my buddies were eyeing me or more specifically my clothing and I could just imagine the thoughts that were going through their minds as I portaged or sat there unscathed while they were losing pints of blood and chunks of flesh.

6/19/2017 11:26 am  #28

Any recent bug reports? I'm still a couple weeks from my next trip but would be nice to get a sense if it remains brutal. It won't stop me from camping, but it might change my route!

6/19/2017 1:27 pm  #29

For what it's worth I was on the Noire River (< 100 km from east border) this past weekend and the bugs were insane. It certainly didn't help that it was a warm, wet weekend, but still.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.