You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2017 8:32 am  #1

New Thermacell Backpacker

Noticed that Thermacell in the US have come out with a new product that attaches to a standard gas canister. Looks cool but for some reason you can't buy in, nor will they ship to, Canada (from all the online US stores I visited). Could really use one of these on my June trips!

https://www.thermacell.com/products/mosquito-repellents/backpacker/backpacker-mosquito-repeller

Has anyone by chance tried one?

5/31/2017 8:43 am  #2

Re: New Thermacell Backpacker

Looks like amazon.ca will ship it to you. Expense though..

https://www.amazon.ca/ThermaCELL-MR-BP-Backpacker-Mosquito-Repeller/dp/B06X6B8W5P

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/31/2017 9:46 am  #3

Yeah saw that but the price is outrageous and they don't seem to have the special strips for it so there's no point.

5/31/2017 10:00 am  #4

Annoying..

Looks like Amazon.com will ship the device to Canada as well but they won't ship the refills

https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-M-48-Backpacker-Only-Refill-Hours/dp/B06X6B8W5P?th=1

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

5/31/2017 5:33 pm  #5

Why not just use the regular handheld thermacell? I swear by it, I spent a night on Harness Lake two days ago and had no bugs around my site at all while using it.

5/31/2017 8:33 pm  #6

Ok just cause I was curious I contacted thermacell and their regular mats work fine in the backpacker unit.

So you could order that unit from Amazon.com and just buy regular replacement mats from Crappy tire or Cabelas etc.

6/02/2017 9:14 am  #7

But when you buy the replacement mats they always come with the butane cartridges that you wont need with this unit

6/02/2017 9:32 am  #8

@ATVenture I still have my handheld which I'm sure I'll continue to use...or you can toss them in the firepit and raise the bar with your Canada Day celebration!

6/02/2017 9:41 am  #9

looks like campsaver.com in the US will ship the backpacker mats to you ( and the unit) just ding you with $20 for shipping to Canada

Last edited by ShawnD (6/02/2017 9:41 am)

6/02/2017 10:20 am  #10

canadian tire has the smaller units and replacement pads,, also home depot has these products. 
i am tempted to get one,,

6/02/2017 11:13 am  #11

@ShawnD I completed the process and it looks like my order was processed! Shipping is pricey but there was a code for 20% off my purchase which helps. Still a lot cheaper than buying through Amazon.ca. Campsaver also say shipping is free to Canada if the order is over US$ 200.
I'll test it out and report back.

6/02/2017 12:19 pm  #12

If it went through you should get it RC I have bought other shipping restricted items from them before and they ship them.

Its a great store. I used to buy a lot of stuff from them when the dollar was at par. Not so much anymore.

You can take advantage of their Shed and Outlet pricing on larger items and get their free shipping over $200.

I bought a Big Agnes FlyCreek 2 tent from their "Shed" outlet for 50% last year.. Came in at $270 CAD all in.  Same tent is over  $600  with tax at MEC. 

They don't charge tax on Canadian orders either (mind you there is always the possibity it shows up with duty owing... crap shoot there) So still some deals to be had there..

Last edited by ShawnD (6/02/2017 1:38 pm)

6/02/2017 12:43 pm  #13

Cool- thanks for the site referral. Your source for restricted items you say? I'm afraid to ask what else you bought...ha

6/04/2017 8:20 am  #14

**Update. Received the following message from Campsaver:

Please note: U.S. Government Export Control Laws and Regulations prohibit us from exporting or assisting with the export of restricted items without proper licensing. We must comply with all existing U.S. Government Laws and Regulations. We hope that you can understand the reason why your order has been cancelled.

6/04/2017 10:01 am  #15

That's too bad. They must be clamping down. Hopefully thermacell is just in the process of filling out the proper red tape to sell this in Canada. Looks like a good item. Only 4 ozs, no extra cartridges etc.

6/04/2017 10:23 am  #16

Yeah that's too bad. Let's just hope it's just a bureaucracy issue that needs to be rubber stamped like you said.
I guess it's off to Cdn Tire to stock up on some 'unrestricted' Thermacell packs before my trip next weekend...

6/05/2017 5:12 am  #17

I ordered the Thermacell Backpacker from Amazon.com and they shipped it to Canada. As mentioned, they will not ship the refills. I ended up ordering some replacement mats from eBay. They are not Thermacell brand, but there are videos on YouTube showing them working. They were a lot cheaper than the Thermacell ones. I have yet to try them out myself.

Last edited by NorseScotsman (6/05/2017 8:56 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.