You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2015 11:34 am  #1

Western uplands trail - bugs

anyone done the western uplands recently?  Heading there August 28 and was considering using my tents fastback option if the bugs aren't too bad.

8/20/2015 1:50 pm  #2

Re: Western uplands trail - bugs

My family and I hiked in to Guskewau for an overnight stay between 29-30 July. Bugs were not bad during the hike but picked up a little during the evening at the campsite. Would likely be less now. If you are considering it, you can likely handle late august bugs.

8/24/2015 10:20 am  #3

Bugs have been very mild this year, especially compared to the last two years.

By now there are almost non-existent.. I think you'll be fine... maybe a tiny bottle of spray for the 30-40 mins at dusk when they briefly come out, but even that may not be necessary (but of course, better to have some than not)

9/16/2015 8:01 am  #4

dansnowball1 departure date is already past but for others who may have the same question, you should be fine.

Come September, I go with only my tarp or, if I expect extensive rain, the fly and footprint from my MEC Wanderer II. 

Dave

9/17/2015 7:19 am  #5

Thanks algonquin tripper for your response. Couldn't convince the others in the party to go for the fast back option even though the bugs were mostly non existent   I will try again next year I suppose.  False sense of security with the zippered tent in place for some. 
Hoping to do the lecloche trail in kilarney next year so wieght will be even more of an issue there.

9/17/2015 3:41 pm  #6

Shouldn't be hearing any whining about weight from them, then!
Enjoy the trip.

Dave

9/17/2015 5:00 pm  #7

That's very helpful AT. I'm going with the tarp-only option for a solo (with dog) this Sunday --> Wednesday.

Have you had problems with the dog wandering around in the middle of the night when not using a zippered confined tent? 

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (9/17/2015 5:01 pm)

9/17/2015 7:19 pm  #8

No, Marco, not really. Once it starts getting dark she heads for the tent or tarp and then will come out every 15 minutes or so and give me her "What the H*ll are you doing?" look. Generally, she is pretty good. She'll give a low growl if she hears or smell something about and sometimes will go out and investigate but never had any issues. That being said, she slept right through this little guy snapping the branch our food bag was hung from last month on Pen. Didn't even stir when I got up to investigate.

Dave

9/17/2015 9:31 pm  #9

That is one deformed looking pine cone. 
M

9/18/2015 8:06 am  #10

What a great picture! He looks so pleased with himself!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.