You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2017 1:42 pm  #1

Opeongo River Campsite

I'm looking into the existence of the campsite on the Opeongo River (outside of Park) two-thirds of the way down the river between Victoria Lake and the Aylen River.  It appears on Jeff's Map.  I have a report from a reliable source who has paddled the river numerous times that they have never noticed the site.  Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of this site for me it would be a great helps.

Thanks.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

3/23/2017 6:03 pm  #2

Re: Opeongo River Campsite

I can't speak from first hand experience. I asked a friend who has been down the river. He said there is an established site on river right around Simon Chutes. Looks like Jeff's Maps has it marked on River left.

5/29/2017 10:39 am  #3

Re: Opeongo River Campsite

Just an update to this question.

We went down the Opeongo last weekend and kept an eye out for the campsite. We did not see anything where Jeff's Maps shows a campsite on River Left upstream of Simon Chutes. We didn't get out to look but couldn't see signs of a campsite from the water.

After the big (2nd) drop in Simon Chutes there is spot to stop on River Right. You could camp there but it would be pretty crappy. I think it is more of a lunch spot for white water folks.

We did see a clearing with a fire pit immediately below the R in Mason Raps on Jeff's Map. Looked like it would have been an OK campsite. The campsite at the confluence of the Aylen and Opeongo is decent. But you will hear road traffic and I'm sure it gets lots of use.

Also, we didn't see a portage around Simon Chutes. Jeff's Maps shows the trailhead between the 1st and 2nd drop of Simon Chutes. I didn't see it. I also think that would be a pretty dangerous spot for a take out. At least it would have been last weekend. If you dump at that spot (River Left at the 2nd drop in Simon Chutes) you will be taking a big swim. If you are looking to portage Simon Chutes. You should get out and scout it well before the rapids start.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.