You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2017 10:01 am  #1

3 day Trip Suggestions

Hey all!

I am heading out for 3 days (June 9-11) solo and looking for some suggestions on routes south off of 60.
I always head out the north and west side of the park so I have never seen Rock/Pen/Louisa/Ragged/etc.

Just looking for suggestions for a good route and some nice sites that might be suitable to keep the bugs away as I am sure they will be BAD! lol

I am a experienced paddler and will be in a pack boat with a kayak paddle so no problems with wind/distance.

Cheers!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

5/26/2017 11:43 am  #2

Re: 3 day Trip Suggestions

Rock/Pen/Louisa loop you can't go wrong. Large bodies of water to escape the bugs if they get bad. Pen has a few sites on the east side which are up high and exposed which have served me well in June.
We also have a tentative trip planned during those days leaving from Rock.

5/26/2017 11:59 am  #3

+1 to that for a loop south of 60. I tentatively booked it for this year too over 2 nights (Harry and Louisa). with my wife. 

- Definitely do it clockwise.
- The western site on Rence is a favorite of mine and gets a good breeze

Last edited by ShawnD (5/26/2017 12:01 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/26/2017 6:50 pm  #4

I have always wanted to do that loop so I think thats the winner!

Is that the standard camping spots for that loop for 3 days? Harry and Louisa? Or I guess one of Welcome/Harry/Rence and then Louisa, leaving a short day out?

Cheers!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

5/26/2017 7:54 pm  #5

It's a nice loop, and can be done at a leisurely pace if you have 3 days.  All the lakes you mention are good options for camping.  I like Welcome for the beach sites, but in early-mid June that's probably not much of a draw.  Louisa has a lot of nice sites where you can catch a breeze.

5/26/2017 9:46 pm  #6

So in order my targets for night 1 would be :

- Western site on Rence
- North western site on Harry
- Site north of the portage on Welcome.

I booked Harry For my trip because Rence was already booked and the second site on Rence is just fair IMO. Didn't want to be racing someone. 

What people like in campsites is so subjective though. You may hate Rence. 

Some people I think stay on Frank night 1 too. Stopped there for lunch once. I thought the site was just OK.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/27/2017 5:36 am  #7

I'm not sure if you read my report or not but I just got back from this exact loop. I did it in 5 days/4 nights but I stayed on Louisa for two nights. 
http://www.myatventure.ca/5-day-solo-starting-may-162017-day-1

5/27/2017 12:37 pm  #8

Coureur des Biere wrote:

I have always wanted to do that loop so I think thats the winner!

Is that the standard camping spots for that loop for 3 days? Harry and Louisa? Or I guess one of Welcome/Harry/Rence and then Louisa, leaving a short day out?

Cheers!

I did that route a few summers ago, also 2 nights, and camped on Welcome and Louisa. Welcome has good beach sites as others have mentioned, but if you don't care about that in June then you can push forward to Harry. Depending how early you get on the water and how late you're ok with getting to the campsite, you could also do Franks (if you like the assurance of having the site waiting for you and not 'competing' against someone else for a specific site)

Also I'd highly recommend campsite #13 for Louisa on the PCI map. I've camped on Louisa a few times and have seen most sites on the lake.. this is my favourite one, and one of my favourite campsites in general. High up, on a point, nice breeze, good tent spots, breathtaking panoramic views of Louisa with perfect viewing of sunset/sunrise and stargazing, etc.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/27/2017 3:08 pm  #9

@ShawnD Alright sir I think I will take your advice and book Rence for the first night! Thanks for the input.

If I find out someone else is going to be there that night when i pick up my permits i'll switch to Harry as like you, I hate the anxiety of "racing" someone there. Ruins the relaxation I'm aiming for.

@ATV Great report! Makes me very excited to finally do this loop...even if it will be peak BUGS! Definitely need to remember the Thermacell.

@Trippy That's one of the sites I was aiming for on Louisa (the other's being #1 or #2) so good to know I have confirmation on one of them!

Thank you all so much for the input, much appreciated!

Cheers!

6/04/2017 5:00 pm  #10

Quick question:

I can get permits for Rock lake access point from either the west gate OR Rock lake campground office which is right at the access point?

I was trying to get out as early as I can but West gate opens at 8am and then 45 min drive to Rock plus unload would mean I wouldn't hit the water till 9 anyway and the rock lake campground office opens at 9 so either way, Im not hitting the water till 9??

Cheers!

6/04/2017 6:01 pm  #11

Better yet, you can pick it up at Canoe L. which opens at 7am.  That's what I did for my May trip last year out of Rock.

Have fun!!

6/04/2017 8:05 pm  #12

Or Opeongo. Are they still open at 6?

Edit
Never mind.
Permit Pick-up Location

Lake Opeongo Access Point Office (on site)
Hours of Operation of Permit Office

April 22 – September 5, 2016    6:00am – 7:00pm
September 6 – October 10, 2016
7:00am – 6:00pm

Last edited by Guest99 (6/04/2017 8:07 pm)

6/04/2017 9:40 pm  #13

Thanks for the info! Thats great!

Ill stop by Canoe lake by 7 and hit the water early.

You guys/gals are awesome!

6/05/2017 6:43 am  #14

Apparently that only works if you don't have a reservation. When I did my trip I had a reservation and stopped at the west gate to get my permit and the lady told me she can't do it and I have to check in at the Rock Lake office. I didn't get any more details, but I'm assuming you can get away with it without the reservation.

6/05/2017 9:56 am  #15

Interesting...I had a reservation out of Rock and had no problem getting my permit from Canoe L. We were the first in line when it opened at 7am.

This was last year so unless something changed this year I don't think you will have a problem.

Best to call the park I guess.

6/05/2017 11:45 am  #16

Ok so I called the park and even though online it says the Rock Lake office opens daily at 9 am, they will be open at 7 am this Friday. Which makes sense if everything else opens at 7 or 8 am in the summer months.

So I guess I can just be there ready to go at 7 and hit the water!

Cheers!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.