You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2017 10:48 am  #18

Re: FYI: Tent City (Toronto) closing

RobW wrote:

I'm not looking forward to MEC opening in Kitchener. They have some good gear, but I long ago realized that Adventure Guide has a better selection of things I care about. Sail down in Cambridge already provides some overlap and MEC is just going to dilute the market more. Worse, when it comes to clothing, MEC has a horrible selection in sizes and most stuff is far too small on the arms and legs. Not a good move for anyone. 

Adventure guide has a decent selection, but I find they rarely have sales and all of their prices are generally MSRP and this has been the case since I've been in the area (2004).
Perhaps the opening of MEC will induce some sale specials, etc...

I have trouble purchasing things at MSRP when there are retailers (Altitude-Sports and SAIL) that frequently run 15-20% off sales.

I would prefer to purchase from a local retailer (like Adventure Guide) but my funds aren't exactly unlimited.

5/10/2017 12:14 pm  #19

Internet purchases have obviously been hard on all these places.  Generally a little bit of online research goes a long way, then it is just a matter of finding best price.  We've got a mom & pop outdoor gear shop near us.  They aren't huge, but they certainly pack a lot into their little storefront.  They know they are competing with the online world, so much of the time their prices are right in line with what you'll see on Amazon.  I don't buy everything from them, but do try to support them because they are super-helpful, have stuff on hand you can touch/feel, they'll take things out of the box for you, and that's just not something you can get online.  Plus they give scouts a little discount, and I like that they do that. 

5/10/2017 1:00 pm  #20

breed85 wrote:

I would prefer to purchase from a local retailer (like Adventure Guide) but my funds aren't exactly unlimited.

I won't say price doesn't matter because it does. Price always matters. On that note I've found Adventure Guide to be as good as MEC. 

5/10/2017 1:57 pm  #21

RobW wrote:

breed85 wrote:

I won't say price doesn't matter because it does. Price always matters. On that note I've found Adventure Guide to be as good as MEC. 

RobW, I would agree with that statement.

5/10/2017 2:10 pm  #22

With camping gear, internet purchases can often times be more Mom & Pop than what you'll see in a local retailer. They maybe aren't in your community, but they're small and non-corporate.

The Bushbuddy stove I bought this year is made by a guy in his cabin in the bush in Alaska. The quilt I bought last year was made by a small business owner in Minnesota. The Hennessy Hammock company isn't much bigger than a couple of brothers and a small team. There are loads of small Canadian retailers that have a significant online presence, like The Canadian Outdoor Equipment Co.

Supporting the cottage manufacturers and well-run small businesses also drives innovation. I wish I could keep my purchases Canadian-made, but that's tough to do and, generally, the items you buy in brick and mortar stores were made in China anyway - I don't want to support that even if it means buying local.

5/24/2017 8:12 pm  #23

Recently bought a hammock tarp in sil-poly from a small cottage maker in Saskatchewan--Little Shop of Hammocks--and have been quite happy with it so far. Google him if you are in the market for a hammock or a tarp, or a quilt.

5/25/2017 8:09 am  #24

Someone posted this link to an Algonquin Facebook group a while back. It's a link to a Google spreadsheet containing website and contact information of tons (170+) of small and speciality camping-related businesses.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1anF0VdJYNnTMUUtbIfptVIRqmM0DsV0jR4obPf93ggQ/edit#gid=0

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.