You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2017 6:42 pm  #1

Good Tent for Backpacking with your dog!

Hey Folks, last week, I published a trip report and included nearly freezing to death because my antiquated and poorly designed tent, leaked like a sieve!  So, it was off to Sail, in Cambridge this weekend.  Spent lots of time sitting in their lightweight 2-man (or 1 man and his dog) tents.  The staff even set up 2 extra ones for me! 

I chose the EUREKA MIDORI 2!  While the price is unbeatable (under 200, tax included); I chose it because it's the most functional tent for backpacking with my 80 pound German Shepherd.  Firstly, it only has one door & one vestibule.  Most of the online reviews call this a significant drawback; but, for trekking with a dog, I only need 1 door.  Next, the large vestibule - I love this feature.  I love to keep my gear close (yes, food goes up at night, of course).  And when it's raining, I eat in my tent; and the Midori 2's vestibule allows me to shelter my supplies out of the rain.  The vestibule comes with a permanent short pole sewn in, so that the vestibule provides more storage space.  Several reviews I've read have complained about this as it interferes with "stuffing" the tent into its bag, as opposed to rolling.  I'm a roller, and I use an older pack with my tent sitting vertically along one side of my pack - so not an issue for me.

Simple setup; having just returned from 6 days on the WUT May 1-6, 2017; I need a tent that sets up really fast in nasty downpours.  2 poles, that's it; easy & fast.  I will be testing putting up and tearing down in really nasty weather, at home, before my next backpacking trip - if my opinion changes at all, I'll update it here, for sure!

I've already sat in it in the rain, with my dog; and it's cozy & dry inside!  Next, I love the bathtub floor that extends about 5 inches above the ground on all sides - this is far more practical for doggie toes and toenails entering and exiting the tent at all hours of the day & night!  The tent is mid-weight at 4 1/2 pounds, and I'm happy with the weight penalty of more sturdy walls and less mesh.  Mesh and dog toe nails were not meant to go together. 

I also like the ample headroom.  I'm 5' 11" and there's a good 5 inches above my head, at the centre point.  I tend not to use the hat hammocks, in any event.  I would far rather be able to sit comfortably, without getting a kink in my neck.

There is one annoying feature: the two mesh pockets on the walls are very poorly designed for holding things such as eye glasses, etc.  Still, that's the only drawback I've found so far.

This tent is listed for beginner & intermediate users; however, the "lightweight" 2-man tents for advanced users are both 2-3 times the price and up to 9 pounds.  Often they feature 2 doors, 2 vestibules and more mesh - none of those features would I want for trekking solo, with my dog.

I can highly recommend both the Eureka Midori 2 and the friendly & helpful staff of Sail in Cambridge ON.
And, I look forward to reporting how the new tent performed in the Algonquin bush after my next trip!
Man and his Dog
p.s. I'd love to hear from other people experienced with this tent.

5/14/2017 6:33 am  #2

Re: Good Tent for Backpacking with your dog!

Thanks for the post!

5/14/2017 1:43 pm  #3

I bought this tent during the winter after reading hundreds of reviews. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VWX0BFS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I too use it for myself and my 85lb german shepherd and it works perfect as well. Comes with a free ground sheet too. I've slept in it during two rain storms now and it stayed 100% dry inside. The only downside is the vestibule isn't quite big enough for my 85l pack but I can fit my camera bag and fishing gear bag under it no problem, and cook food at the same time if need be.

5/14/2017 7:39 pm  #4

ManandhisDog wrote:

...I love to keep my gear close (yes, food goes up at night, of course).  And when it's raining, I eat in my tent; and the Midori 2's vestibule allows me to shelter my supplies out of the rain.  

ATVenture wrote:

...The only downside is the vestibule isn't quite big enough for my 85l pack but I can fit my camera bag and fishing gear bag under it no problem, and cook food at the same time if need be.

Is it common for people to eat in/near the tent? That's the one thing I'm always pretty anal about, no scents near the tent. If bears or other animals want to mess around with my gear or campsite while I sleep, fine, but I want at least one spot that they won't be attracted to. If it's pitch black middle of the night and a bear wants inside my tent, I'm screwed.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/14/2017 7:50 pm  #5

I generally keep food away from the tent. I do see people cooking in the vestibule in the rain but I just put my rain gear on, or setup a tarp. I've broken this rule a few times, usually when the bugs are awful I'll set the tent up at lunch time and eat snacks inside, but I won't cook in or near it.

5/14/2017 10:24 pm  #6

Jdbonney wrote:

I generally keep food away from the tent. I do see people cooking in the vestibule in the rain but I just put my rain gear on, or setup a tarp. I've broken this rule a few times, usually when the bugs are awful I'll set the tent up at lunch time and eat snacks inside, but I won't cook in or near it.

And I'm over here not even bringing my dinner clothes into the tent with me most of the time...

Inevitably wiping my hands on my clothes after eating some peanut butter and beef jerky, or standing over the fire while cooking dinner... even if I don't smell it, those bears will. If I don't need to bring it in the tent with me, I won't. I usually change into my sweats after dinner and just leave my day clothes with the rest of my gear covered with a tarp.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/15/2017 6:46 am  #7

trippythings wrote:

ManandhisDog wrote:

...I love to keep my gear close (yes, food goes up at night, of course).  And when it's raining, I eat in my tent; and the Midori 2's vestibule allows me to shelter my supplies out of the rain.  

ATVenture wrote:

...The only downside is the vestibule isn't quite big enough for my 85l pack but I can fit my camera bag and fishing gear bag under it no problem, and cook food at the same time if need be.

Is it common for people to eat in/near the tent? That's the one thing I'm always pretty anal about, no scents near the tent. If bears or other animals want to mess around with my gear or campsite while I sleep, fine, but I want at least one spot that they won't be attracted to. If it's pitch black middle of the night and a bear wants inside my tent, I'm screwed.

The only reason I mentioned it was because the original poster said it. I have never done it and probably never will, but never say never. When I read through 100's of reviews when I bought my tent that was something that allot of people mentioned that they liked to be able to  cook in there.

5/15/2017 10:36 am  #8

ManandhisDog wrote:

...my antiquated and poorly designed tent, leaked like a sieve!...

Couple of thoughts....If you are otherwise happy with your present tent, a properly positioned groundsheet will address the leaking issue. An inexpensive solution.

ManandhisDog wrote:

There is one annoying feature: the two mesh pockets on the walls are very poorly designed for holding things such as eye glasses, etc.  Still, that's the only drawback I've found so far. 

If the tent has some sort of loops or attachments inside by the roof, you can do what I do: Run a length of paracord like a clothesline and use it to hang your glasses from by closing one of the arms around it and hanging them by the hinge. Easy access, safe from accidental breakage and no fogged lenses. Works well for a small light as well.

Dave

5/15/2017 3:16 pm  #9

Good idea, Dave, about the paracord clothesline.  I like that system much better than the hat hammock.  I find it so much easier to feel normal & confident with my head held high, in my tent.  With the old tent with its sagging walls, low ceiling and hat hammock, necessitating my head always being ducked, I felt more like a scared animal, hunched over, waiting for the boogey man.  So much nicer to be able to sit straight and normally!

On another note, this Midori 2 has excellent ventilation.  My 80 pound, black German Shepherd and I just enjoyed a half hour nap in direct sunlight and 18C temperature.  The acid test:  my dog did not need to pant at all, she just rested along side me, breathing normally!  

My next test will be setting up, in the rain, and then staying overnight in my new tent, in the rain!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.